INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
StVitus

Reply with quote  #1 
What’s the difference between chalan and pakad? Is a chalan movement that might contain one or more pakad melodies? Josh Feinberg’s Sitar Method has chalans but no pakads. Ravi Shankar doesn’t use either one, but has definitions for both, but the difference is unclear. Bagchee’s Nād and the Raga Guide suggest that the difference is that chalans are ascending or descending rhythms.
g

Reply with quote  #2 
I think the difference is probably academic, and probably not that important, unless you are writing a paper (like most things in books about ICM [wink] [wink]

To me, Chalan means way i.e. the approach or sequence (chalan can refer to rhythm also), and a Pakad is a brief snapshot of key phrase(s) of the Raag.

Personally I think Pakads are an outdated concept back from when we didn't have the technology to record things. 
I find the Pakads in books pointless as they are not very successful at condensing the core concepts of a Raga down to a phrase or two, which is a challenge of course.

You will likely gain much more from listening to orthodox recordings of raags than from pakads/chalans from books.

My own 2cents [cool]
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi all,

Someone just wrote to me asking me to clarify this. G's approach lines up with how I was taught. Chalan is a more elaborate version of aroha avaroha- it is the pathways of the raga. The pakad is the heart of the raga, usually a phrase or two with just a few notes. For example, RnDPR in Jaijavanti. The Chalan will be much longer, and it may have the pakad within it. 

My book is not really meant to teach ragas, its a practice guide for music students. Yes, there are a few simple compositions there, but they are not meant to teach the raga itself, just supplement and augment the exercises etc, and give a little understanding of how the raga works. It is impossible to learn to play a raga from a book. 

There are many different approaches to Hindustani music, and different traditions use the terms differently. This is one approach. 

Hope this helps!
Josh

musikero

Reply with quote  #4 
Good question, i also would to know

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your thoughtful responses.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.