INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
festus

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know where I may purchace celluloid material for bindings and at the base of the neck for some sitars I'm repairing? Thank you.
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #2 
Well check with Keshav, Bharat or AACM any of these gentlemen may have scrap from repairs or salvage instruments or if its for total replacemnt I'd check out a luthier supply house like Stewart McDonald and use something unique. They have nice parquet wood bindings and MOP or abalone. Nice stuff uniform and in a variety of sizes.

Older instruments might be a real challenge to match. I have a tamboura of unknown vintage that I couldn't match I finally used a Tylonal bottle I cut into strips and then painted the design on with some success. Looks good from the mountain.

StewMac sells burn in Laquer sticks that work well for filling gaps etc. Kinda tricky to use at first but good stuff.

Reply with quote  #3 
You could also check in with a drum shop that does repair / rewrapping. They have sheets of the stuff. Certain plastics houses that build up office supply desk clutter, window dressings and similar also have sheet stock on hand. Happy shopping.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for your thoughts
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.