INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
chanjurban

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
Indian Music Lovers:

I need some help. My wife and son are going to India soon, and of course I have asked her to pick up some new CD's. My problem is what to buy.

Right now, my collection is dominated by Music Today material (Maestro's Choice series and Sangeet Sartaj series). I also have serveral selections by Moment Records and the Angel recordings of Ravi Shankar. My favorite series, at this point, is the Ali Akbar Khan Signature Series (I love sarode and the recordings are spectacular).

In my experience, most recordings of Indian music are sub-standard quality, even if the playing is good (i.e. the Immortal series). The Music Today series and Moment records have been consistant, but even those labels have their duds. The Music Today stuff, in particular, is riddled with bad edits to make a rag short enough to fit on a CD. (Of course I have an $8000 Hi-Fi that reveals subtle details...) The Moment reocords material sounds more holopgraphic on more expensive gear. BUT that Zakir Hussain tabla duet with his dad sounds like garbage. I can take some imperfections, like the Signature Series with some tape hiss and my old jazz recordsl, but some flaws are unlistenable.

Enough rambling... I would like good recordings of good classical music. Please post your suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Charles
0
povster

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,487
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Chanjabran,

You can start here. Perhaps others can expand the selctions past the listed artists. I will add some later myself.

http://66.139.254.145/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=339

__________________
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM
0
Kanti Dattani

Registered:
Posts: 213
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Music and Sound lover,

My friends and I who are music lovers, not musicians, are frequently asked by like minded friends to compile a list of CDs with the best recording quality as well as the best music. My collection is therefore allocated marks for both the recording as well as the music quality.

The following CDs have been awarded (a majority rather than unanimous decision) four out of five marks for the recording and four out of five for the music. (No CD has yet secured five out of five for either criteria but we hope it will happen one day). These ratings are subject to change. Not all CDs in my collection have been adequately assessed yet and therefore the following list will expand once the task is complete.

So, here is the subjective provisional incomplete list

Dilruba Allauddin Khan NMCD006 Natraj Music
Flute Hariprasad Chaurasia KICC5172; SNCD70396
Guitar Debashish Bhattacharya IAM1042
Guitar VM Bhatt & Shalil Bhatt SWM024
Guitar VM Bhatt WLA23; SWM056
Pakhawaj Bhawani Shankar SWM013
Santoor Shivkumar Sharma SWM027
Santoor Tarun Bhattacharya SWM014
Sarod Ali Akbar Khan AMMP9302; AMMP0310; SNCD3386
Sarod Amjad Ali SNCD70701; (TRACK 2 GOT ONLY THREE FOR MUSIC); ACCD1004
Sarod Buddhadev Das Gupta IAM1038; IAM1072
Sarod Tejendra Majumdar IAM1027; IAM1044; IAM1066; SWM029; SWM029; SWM066
Sitar Imrat Khan NI5153; WLA17; WLA26; SWM074
Sitar Shahid Parvez SWM021; SWM033; SWM054
Sitar Purbayan Chatterjee SWM017; SWM025; SWM037;
Sitar Vilayat Khan IAM1001
Violin Kala Ramnath SWM008; SWM038;
Violin N Rajam SWM022
Vocal Aarti Ankalikar SWM035
Vocal Ashwini Bhide SWM077
Vocal Gangubai Hangal SM1501
Vocal Laxmi Shankar Occora France C558615
Vocal Ajoy Chakrabarty SWM018; SWM045; SWM069
Vocal Jasraj WLA31
Vocal Kaushiki Chakrabarty SWM047
Vocal Prabhakar Karekar SWM012
Vocal Rajan & Sajan Mishra SWM001
Vocal Rashid Khan IAM1031; IP6017; SWM032
Vocal Ratan Mohan Sharma BIS26
Duet Partho Sarothy & Shubhendra Rao SWM020
Duet Tejendra Mjumdar & Mysore M Manjunath SWM066
Duet Purbayan & Kala Ramnath SWM039
Duet Purbayan & Shashank SWM060
Duet N Rajam & Sangita Shankar SWM073

Of course CDs with three or less out of five for the recording quality BUT four
out of five for music will produce a much longer and different list. I
appreciate that for many, music is more important than the recording quality. But those with the top end of HIFI equipment like yourself should have very little complain about the sound.

I am not in music business. I buy CDs from local music stores in Leicester and other towns in UK as well as from all over the world. CDs are cheaper in USA and India. Please get in touch if you need more information.

Regards,

Kanti Dattani
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kanti
Hi Music and Sound lover,

My friends and I who are music lovers, not musicians, are frequently asked by like minded friends to compile a list of CDs with the best recording quality as well as the best music. My collection is therefore allocated marks for both the recording as well as the music quality.

The following CDs have been awarded (a majority rather than unanimous decision) four out of five marks for the recording and four out of five for the music. (No CD has yet secured five out of five for either criteria but we hope it will happen one day). These ratings are subject to change. Not all CDs in my collection have been adequately assessed yet and therefore the following list will expand once the task is complete.

So, here is the subjective provisional incomplete list

Dilruba Allauddin Khan NMCD006 Natraj Music
Flute Hariprasad Chaurasia KICC5172; SNCD70396
Guitar Debashish Bhattacharya IAM1042
Guitar VM Bhatt & Shalil Bhatt SWM024
Guitar VM Bhatt WLA23; SWM056
Pakhawaj Bhawani Shankar SWM013
Santoor Shivkumar Sharma SWM027
Santoor Tarun Bhattacharya SWM014
Sarod Ali Akbar Khan AMMP9302; AMMP0310; SNCD3386
Sarod Amjad Ali SNCD70701; (TRACK 2 GOT ONLY THREE FOR MUSIC); ACCD1004
Sarod Buddhadev Das Gupta IAM1038; IAM1072
Sarod Tejendra Majumdar IAM1027; IAM1044; IAM1066; SWM029; SWM029; SWM066
Sitar Imrat Khan NI5153; WLA17; WLA26; SWM074
Sitar Shahid Parvez SWM021; SWM033; SWM054
Sitar Purbayan Chatterjee SWM017; SWM025; SWM037;
Sitar Vilayat Khan IAM1001
Violin Kala Ramnath SWM008; SWM038;
Violin N Rajam SWM022
Vocal Aarti Ankalikar SWM035
Vocal Ashwini Bhide SWM077
Vocal Gangubai Hangal SM1501
Vocal Laxmi Shankar Occora France C558615
Vocal Ajoy Chakrabarty SWM018; SWM045; SWM069
Vocal Jasraj WLA31
Vocal Kaushiki Chakrabarty SWM047
Vocal Prabhakar Karekar SWM012
Vocal Rajan & Sajan Mishra SWM001
Vocal Rashid Khan IAM1031; IP6017; SWM032
Vocal Ratan Mohan Sharma BIS26
Duet Partho Sarothy & Shubhendra Rao SWM020
Duet Tejendra Mjumdar & Mysore M Manjunath SWM066
Duet Purbayan & Kala Ramnath SWM039
Duet Purbayan & Shashank SWM060
Duet N Rajam & Sangita Shankar SWM073

Of course CDs with three or less out of five for the recording quality BUT four
out of five for music will produce a much longer and different list. I
appreciate that for many, music is more important than the recording quality. But those with the top end of HIFI equipment like yourself should have very little complain about the sound.

I am not in music business. I buy CDs from local music stores in Leicester and other towns in UK as well as from all over the world. CDs are cheaper in USA and India. Please get in touch if you need more information.

Regards,

Kanti Dattani
I'm a little surprised that neither Ust. Amir Khan, Ust. Bhade Ghulam Ali Khan, Smt. Kishori Amonkar, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Ust. Bismillah Khan, and Pt. Nikhil Bannerjee were incapable of making the grade even despite the recording quality of their 'Cd's' !!!??? I'd take ANY ONE Amir Khan LP or cassette tape recording over your entire collection of CD's.

A.

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
jj

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #5 
"I'm a little surprised that neither Ust. Amir Khan, Ust. Bhade Ghulam Ali Khan, Smt. Kishori Amonkar, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Ust. Bismillah Khan, and Pt. Nikhil Bannerjee were incapable of making the grade even despite the recording quality of their 'Cd's' !!!??? I'd take ANY ONE Amir Khan LP or cassette tape recording over your entire collection of CD's.

A."



Wow what a high and mighty thing to say aren’t you special. What K D has done by making this long list of artists with cd skew #s must have taken a long time and was very generous. I have heard many of these artist and I think it is a great list and place to start. So you have a different opinion that’s fine how about giving some info on ANY ONE of those recordings instead of your usual condescending tirade how much more you think you know?
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #6 
Amir Khan - Raag Adana - Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje DHUNCDC 0003

Bade Ghulam Ali Khan - Raag Bihag & Thumri - Ab Tohe Jaane Nahi Doongi, Dadra - Kaahe Satavo Mohe Sanvariya Re - DHUNCDC 0003

Bismillah Khan - Malkauns/Desh/Tilak Kamod - STC851037

Nikhil Banerjee - Rag Malgunji - RAGA 217

Kishori Amomkar - Shuddh Kalyan / Suha - NRCD 0111

Bhimsen Joshi - Puriya Danashree / Tulsidas- Jika Bhajan - KICC 514

The serial numbers and descriptions of other recordings by these artists can be found at: http://www.khazana.com or countless other on-line music stores.

BTW - Mr Dattani's 'list' it appears is culled almost exclusively from the Sense World Label catalogue. While I much admire Sense World's artists and recordings on the whole, their sales tactics or those of their merchandisers leave much to be desired.

A.

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
Shawn

Registered:
Posts: 330
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi,

There are many great recordings that you won't be able to find easily in India. These are produced by record labels in the UK, and so are of quite high quality: Navras, Audiorec, and Sense Music. They're all available from Khazana.com at reasonable prices.

When talking about ICM, I tend to go for any album by my favourite artists, regardless of the record label or sound quality. I wouldn't want to miss out on a great performance, even if the sound quality isn't great. Here are some of my favourites, with recordings readily available:

Vocal: Pandits Rajan and Sajan Mishra
Violin: Kala Ramnath
Sitar: Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Ustad Vilayat Khan
Santoor: Pandit Shivkumar Sharma
Tabla: Pandit Sharda Sahai, Pandit Kishan Maharaj, Pandit Samta Prasad, Sanju Sahai, Kumar Bose, Thirakwa

... of course, there are many more...

Have a great time in India!

Regards,
Shawn

__________________
Shawn Mativetsky
http://www.shawnmativetsky.com
http://www.twitter.com/tablamontreal
http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal
0
Kanti Dattani

Registered:
Posts: 213
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi all

I had compiled the list of CDs FOR CHARLES with the following comments in mind.

>>>Chanjurban (Charles!) wrote

.......In my experience, most recordings of Indian music are sub-standard quality, even if the playing is good .........

........Today stuff, in particular, is riddled with bad edits to make a rag short enough to fit on a CD.....

.......Of course I have an $8000 Hi-Fi that reveals subtle details...

........Zakir Hussain tabla duet with his dad sounds like garbage. I can take some imperfections, like the Signature Series with some tape hiss and my old jazz recordsl, but some flaws are unlistenable.....

..........Enough rambling... I would like GOOD RECORDING of good classical music. Please post your suggestions........<<<<


I had therefore started my posting as follows

>>>>Hi Music and Sound lover,
My friends and I who are music lovers, not musicians, are frequently asked by like minded friends to compile a list of CDs with the BEST RECORDING QUALITY as well as the best music......<<<<<

I also wrote (to avoid any misunderstanding)...........

>>>>Of course CDs with three or less out of five for the recording quality BUT four
out of five for MUSIC will produce a much longer and different list. I
appreciate that for many, music is more important than the recording quality. But those with the top end of HIFI equipment like yourself should have very little complain about the sound<<<<

I had compiled a similar list on 30.9.2003 and posted on RMIC. It included several SWM cds. because they score high marks for sound quality (Soon another company may emerge to outperform Sense World Music for sound quality).
One perfectly reasonable reply I received from a serious RMICer was
.....could I compile a list of cds where I have given 5 out of 5 for music, even though I may have given one out of five for recording?.......

If I were to compile such a list of CDs with BEST MUSIC, it would be quite different, as it would include dozens of CDs of the past greats mentioned by contributors on this forum.

I hope these explanations have cleared up the air.


Regards,

Kanti Dattani

(Thanks jj)
0
The Rover

Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
"I'm a little surprised that neither Ust. Amir Khan, Ust. Bhade Ghulam Ali Khan, Smt. Kishori Amonkar, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Ust. Bismillah Khan, and Pt. Nikhil Bannerjee were incapable of making the grade even despite the recording quality of their 'Cd's' !!!??? I'd take ANY ONE Amir Khan LP or cassette tape recording over your entire collection of CD's.
A."

Wow what a high and mighty thing to say aren’t you special. What K D has done by making this long list of artists with cd skew #s must have taken a long time and was very generous. I have heard many of these artist and I think it is a great list and place to start. So you have a different opinion that’s fine how about giving some info on ANY ONE of those recordings instead of your usual condescending tirade how much more you think you know?

Hmm...I would conditionally have to agree with A....While I do applaud your effort and meticulousness Kanti, I do think the lesser artists are skewed advantageously. For example, I don't think Imrat Khan has any right to have the same number of CD's listed has his elder brother...there are too many stunning Vilayat Khan recordings to list that are miles above what Imrat Khan could ever hope to do. To put it mildly, he just isn't as talented as his older brother. And how can there be 3 recordings of Purbayan, who is mediocre at best, while NONE OF NIKHIL BANERJEE?

Before you accuse me of not reading your explanation, I still find it puzzling that you are telling us that artists like Imrat Khan and Purbayan Chaterjee are 4 out of 5 stars? I don't think so...not by a long shot. If you listen seriously to ICM, you cannot rate those artists a 4 out of 5, not as long as Shahid Pervez, Shujaat Khan, and Nishat Khan are still playing in a different league. Not to mention the true 5 star heavy hitters like Amir Khan, Vilayat Khan, Ravi Shankar, Nikhil Bannerjee etc...

If you are looking for good sound quality, I think you might want to add recordings from higher quality artists from a variety of labels. Some labels were already listed, and India Archive comes to mind for presenting a superbly recorded catalog...it will certainly lend musical credibility to the business credibility that you already have seemed to attain. I do understand you tailored your list to fit “good quality recordings” but I believe you can do greater good buy presenting worthy artists. As for not including Amir Khan, sorry JJ. I've got UAK on CD, tape, vinyl, & reel. I too would take the worst one over 99% of the other stuff. The tail should never wag the dog. Expensive Hi Fi equipment cannot buy you taste.

Peace,

R O V E R


__________________
theRover
0
Kanti Dattani

Registered:
Posts: 213
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Rover JI

Thank you for your posting. Such comments help me and I am sure will help others who are after good music CDs. Your comments and my reply are as follows:-

>Hmm...I would conditionally have to agree with A....While I do applaud your effort and
>meticulousness Kanti,

THANK YOU

>I do think the lesser artists are skewed advantageously. For example, I don't think Imrat >Khan has any right to have the same number of CD's listed has his elder brother

AGREE

>...there are too many stunning Vilayat Khan recordings to list that are miles above what >Imrat Khan could ever hope to do. To put it mildly, he just isn't as talented as his older >brother.

AGREE

>And how can there be 3 recordings of Purbayan, who is mediocre at best, while NONE OF >NIKHIL BANERJEE?

PURBAYAN'S CDS WERE INCLUDED FOR RECORDING QUALITY (WHICH WAS MY BRIEF)

I HAVE 48 CDS BY NIKHILJI, FOR MY TASTE THE BEST SITARIST EVER. 40 OF THESE CDS WOULD BE INCLUDED IN MY LIST OF BEST CDS.

>Before you accuse me of not reading your explanation, I still find it puzzling that you are >telling us that artists like Imrat Khan and Purbayan Chaterjee are 4 out of 5 stars? I don't >think so...not by a long shot.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THESE ARTISTS ARE 4 OUT OF FIVE STARS. I AM SAYING THAT THEIR CDS INCLUDED IN MY LIST ARE 4 OUT OF 5 STARS FOR RECORDING.

>If you listen seriously to ICM, you cannot rate those artists a 4 out of 5,

AGREE

>not as long as Shahid Pervez, Shujaat Khan, and Nishat Khan are still playing in a different >league. Not to mention the true 5 star heavy hitters like Amir Khan, Vilayat Khan, Ravi >Shankar, Nikhil Bannerjee etc...

AGREE

>If you are looking for good sound quality, I think you might want to add recordings from >higher quality artists from a variety of labels.

MY LIST INCLUDED THE CDS THAT I HAVE.
PLEASE ADD CDS FROM HIGHER QUALITY ARTISTS FROM A VARIETY OF LABELS IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THEM. I WILL BUY ALL OF THEM!

>Some labels were already listed, and India Archive comes to mind for presenting a >superbly recorded catalog

I HAVE 77 CDS BY INDIAN ARCHIVE. FEW YEARS AGO VAST MAJORITY OF THEM WERE INCLUDED IN MY LIST OF BEST RECORDINGS. I STILL CONSIDER SOME OF THEM AS BEST RECORDINGS TODAY. SOME CDS BY NEW COMPANIES HAVE OVERTAKEN THEM IMHO. SOON ANOTHER COMPANY WILL EMERGE PRODUCING EVEN BETTER SOUND QUALITY AND MY LIST WOULD BE REVISED AGAIN. AND PERHAPS WOULD EXCLUDE SOME CDS LISTED TODAY.
I DID SAY THAT MY LIST WAS A MAJORITY OPINION FROM FRIENDS, NOT A UNANIMOUS DECISION. I ALSO SAID THAT MY LIST WAS SUBJECTIVE PROVISIONAL INCOMPLETE LIST!


>...it will certainly lend musical credibility to the business credibility that you already have >seemed to attain.

BUSINESS CREDIBILITY, I HAVE NONE, NEVER TRIED IT EITHER! - BUT THANK YOU


>I do understand you tailored your list to fit “good quality recordings”

THANK YOU

>but I believe you can do greater good buy presenting worthy artists

AS I SAID IN MY POSTING ABOVE, A LIST OF GOOD MUSIC CDS IRESPECTIVE OF SOUND QUALITY WOULD INCLUDE ALL THE GREATEST WORTHY ARTISTS.
AFTERALL IT IS THEIR CDS THAT I PLAY MORE OFTEN, NOT THE CDS WITH BEST RECORDING QUALITY.

>. As for not including Amir Khan, sorry JJ. I've got UAK on CD, tape, vinyl, & reel. I too >would take the worst one over 99% of the other stuff. The tail should never wag the dog. >Expensive Hi Fi equipment cannot buy you taste.

AGREE

>Peace,

AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY

R O V E R


BEST WISHES.

Kanti
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.