INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chanjurban

Reply with quote  #1 
Indian Music Lovers:

I need some help. My wife and son are going to India soon, and of course I have asked her to pick up some new CD's. My problem is what to buy.

Right now, my collection is dominated by Music Today material (Maestro's Choice series and Sangeet Sartaj series). I also have serveral selections by Moment Records and the Angel recordings of Ravi Shankar. My favorite series, at this point, is the Ali Akbar Khan Signature Series (I love sarode and the recordings are spectacular).

In my experience, most recordings of Indian music are sub-standard quality, even if the playing is good (i.e. the Immortal series). The Music Today series and Moment records have been consistant, but even those labels have their duds. The Music Today stuff, in particular, is riddled with bad edits to make a rag short enough to fit on a CD. (Of course I have an $8000 Hi-Fi that reveals subtle details...) The Moment reocords material sounds more holopgraphic on more expensive gear. BUT that Zakir Hussain tabla duet with his dad sounds like garbage. I can take some imperfections, like the Signature Series with some tape hiss and my old jazz recordsl, but some flaws are unlistenable.

Enough rambling... I would like good recordings of good classical music. Please post your suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Charles
adunc069

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, I suggest anyy Sense world Music recording. They're a newer label with really good recording gear. I think they have one of the best sound on any of their cd's. I highly suggest any of the Shahid Parvez releases, Synergy (2 cd jog and piloo) , sitar 1 (Bageshree)or sitar 2 (bihag). The new Tejendra Majumdar is good too. Like I said, the sound is great on any of those cd's from SWM.
daz199

Reply with quote  #3 
^^ definately get those

and for some ravi shankar, i'd get Full Circle - Carnegie Hall
haldamos

Reply with quote  #4 
It sounds odd, but some of the better sound quality recordings are done here. Try India Archive music's titles. Lyle (the producer) does not scrimp, paying a lot of attention to sound. I was lucky enough to attend dozens of sessions for India Archive, including 8 or 9 of Ustad Vilayat Khan's sessions The recordings that made it to market are faithful reproductions. If your rig is 8 grand, I assume you have a high end turntable. If I were you, I would stock up on grade A vinyl, and run it through some EL 34's. Nothing warms up a recorded sitar like tubes.

Cheers

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.