INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
subbarao1

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a very intelligent friend who has recently become interested in ICM, particularly sitar music. For an intro, I've decided to compile a five files each from RS, NB, and VK along with a three from SP and SK. I want to show him what sitar is really about. Here is what I plan on giving him...let me know if you think there is something better.

RS:
Jog w/ Chatur Lal
Behag w/ Thirakwa
Malkauns (jor and jhalla)
Madhuvanti w/ Chatur Lal
Bhimpalasi (MPF)

VK:
Darbari w/ Shankar Ghosh
Piloo (old)
Mian Malhar w/Imrat Khan
JaiJaiwanti w/ Samta Prasad
Not sure what to put on as 5th item -- looking for a good oldie

NB:
Malkauns w/ Kanai Datta
Desh w/ Anindoda
Komal Re Aswari w/ Kanai Datta
Marwa w/ Anindo (?)
Not sure what to put on as 5th...Bhimpalsi?

SP:

Piloo w/Kumar Bose
Darbari
Kedar

Shujaat:

Shahana w/Shyam Kane
Jhinjhoti
?
Jay M

Reply with quote  #2 
I know that I would like a copy!
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks like a wonderful gift, I would add a little film music from Raviji like the soundtrack to "Chappaqua" or The "Apu Trilogy" and maybe some other instruments like the sarod and rudra veena.

Also a comparison of gharanas treatments of the same raags. I had an Indian cassette that had Malkouns played on everything from vocal to shenai with jaltarang and some other rare instruments. It was the best lesson I ever had on the way a raga can maintain its raas while being approached very differently by the various Ustads.

Shujaat Sahib also toured with a Persian Kamanche player a few years back. A very beautiful exposition of multicultural fusion that sacrificed nothing of both cultures. I don't know if he recorded a CD?

Reply with quote  #4 
howdy,

if your still looking for that 5th Nikhilda performance, i say any compolation of his needs to included his Bageshree. brilliant!!

jf

haldamos

Reply with quote  #5 
VK: Yaman. The Best. End of story.

SK: Aliya Bilawal (makar records)

Promise you will not go wrong with these two.

Reply with quote  #6 
Shujaat Sahib also toured with a Persian Kamanche player a few years back. A very beautiful exposition of multicultural fusion that sacrificed nothing of both cultures. I don't know if he recorded a CD?

Dear Abdul Latif:

Ud Shujaat Khan and Kehan Kalhor, along with Sandeep Das, formed the group Ghaazal. They perform extenstensively, and will be at Lincoln Center on April 27th. There live album, "The Rain" was nominated for a Grammy in 2003.

Have a listen, its nice.

Reply with quote  #7 
Shahid Parvez - Bageshri !!
daz199

Reply with quote  #8 
oh and

NB - Megh
subbarao1

Reply with quote  #9 
I bought the SP Bageshwari online...alap, jor, and jhala have been listened to...I am at a lost for words.

Now, all I need is NB Bagheshri, VK Yaman, and NB Megh.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #10 
Just a thought; there are also a number of decent videos available your friend might also enjoy - better yet, a live performance. There are quite a few very good artists touring currently.

Bobu
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #11 
Recently I've been recommending Shujaat Khan's "Rain" album - it's a excellent introduction to the sitar for people who have had no prior exposure to indian music. Also, I would agree with haldamos, Vilayet Khan's Yaman is a classic.
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #12 
Dear Abdul Latif:

Ud Shujaat Khan and Kehan Kalhor, along with Sandeep Das, formed the group Ghaazal. They perform extenstensively, and will be at Lincoln Center on April 27th. There live album, "The Rain" was nominated for a Grammy in 2003.

Have a listen, its nice.

I'll have to check it out, the village I live in is so poor the Tax collectors don't stop here. Needless to say our arts and entertainment section is at least 10 years behind the scene :wink:

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "subbarao1"
I bought the SP Bageshwari online...alap, jor, and jhala have been listened to...I am at a lost for words.
buy the rest of it! its amazin, especially the 2nd gat
subbarao1

Reply with quote  #14 
Does anybody know where I can buy Vilayat Khan Yaman or NB Bageshri online (mp3 or ogg)?
sitariya

Reply with quote  #15 
VK's yaman is recently released on CD under Evergreen Yaman title that also has a nice Bismillah Khan Yaman.
If you are looking for different styles of sitars, I would recommend Abdul Halim Jafar Khan who developed distinctive style than VK/RS/NB. Unfortunately his hearing problems stopped him from becoming famous and his most recent recordings are way below par. But his old live concert recordings are coming out. I was also lucky to hear some of his old private concerts at my friend's house who was his follower and musically they were absolute divine
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.