INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pritlee

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all

I contacted someone in India who makes sarangis and he is using Teak wood which is the main wood used to make sarangis....

my question is, has anyine ever seen, made, or tried making it out of other solid wook like Oak????? I understand Oak is very strong and heavy and heavier the sarangi better it is.......???(is it right???) plus oak will not bend like other wood would after some time......

how would i season a wood piece for sarangi???? i was thinking of buying a log and keep it and let it dry and then send to someone in India to make sarangi for me.....i understand it will be a costly affair hence I wanted to ask you guys for opinion.....

I'd like to hear from David Courtney since you are lot of experience as well as other experimental users......

best regards.

pp
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Oak is ok for furniture or fence posts. There is too much inconsistancy with oak. Sporadic change in grain direction along with random soft spots make this stuff miserable to work with. I would recommend just about any type of mahogany. There are many many other wood types that could work in terms of weight. Padouk, Shedua, Jacoba would qualify. Rosewood comes to mind. Trick is to find a block of wood large enough to make the body. If you do get such a block. Melt some wax onto the ends and let it set out. You should be able to "Google" the topic to get detailed instructions for seasoning wood. If you are going to go ahead and have a Sarangi made at this expense, I have a real beauty here that I have all the drawings and plans for. Keep us posted as to how your battle plan develops.

Reply with quote  #3 
hi Sitarfixer......

you mean you have drawings for sarangi measurements? or you have some logs you can use to make sarangi? if you have any measurements and drawings related to making sarangi then i'd appreciate if you can send me a copy via email.....

have you made sarangi before? if i go ahead with this I guess i will need to let the wood season for many months.....

Kind regards
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey there, Pritlee. I have a superb Sarangi here along with 5 others. I can draw up the plans for you if you like. It should be done anyway. I build sitars and tanpuras here in Charlotte, NC. No reason I couldn't build a Sarangi. I've overhauled a few in years past. Rebuilt the bodies, carved bridges, glued on skins, etc. As I said earlier, getting a seasoned block of correct quality wood large enough to make the body is the hardest part. PM me with your eMail address and give me a week or so for those drawings.

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Hey there, Pritlee. I have a superb Sarangi here along with 5 others. I can draw up the plans for you if you like. It should be done anyway. I build sitars and tanpuras here in Charlotte, NC. No reason I couldn't build a Sarangi. I've overhauled a few in years past. Rebuilt the bodies, carved bridges, glued on skins, etc. As I said earlier, getting a seasoned block of correct quality wood large enough to make the body is the hardest part. PM me with your eMail address and give me a week or so for those drawings.

Hi Sitarfixer I have sent you a PM....i'd appreciate if you can send me the drawings.....

thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.