INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #1 
Just saw this in a press writeup for the (if I understand correctly, now departed) Stephen James:

"Called "the best western sarod player" by Ustad Khan"

While I can guess to whom they are referring, "Ustad Khan" is a bit amusingly vague! In fact, sometimes its hard to find an Ustad who isn't a Khan!
RichardH

Reply with quote  #2 
http://ericzang.com/sj/critiques.html
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
If you go to the Sarod page of his website there are some nice Sarod recordings.
I really like his three Bach pieces.
They are kid of beautiful.

In the context of Bach, the tone of the sarod seems to take on a much more "Lute"-like quality.
The sarod seems appropriate for Bach for some reason.
Maybe the genius of Bach transcends instrument and genre.

I had not heard of him before, but it is sad to lose a member of this small community.
RIP
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
I learned of him when I was looking for examples of banjo (American, not Indian) music in a Hindustani style. There is a guy named Tim Weed who does a bit of banjo playing with this sarod player in a raga context, which led me to that quote. I have a friend with a nice banjo, and after listening to the multiple sitar orchestrations on Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan's "Sitar Through Ages" album I'm curious about finding musicians interested in collaboration! Seems like a banjo has a lot of the tonality of a sarod, minus of course the taraf and meend.
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Check out "Tabula Rasa" by Bela Fleck and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
Check out "Tabula Rasa" by Bela Fleck and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
Will do...saw Bela recently with Zakir Hussein and Edgar Meyer...brilliant music but not quite raga. He's done a lot of collaborations with Indian musicians, but usually its them meeting somewhat halfway, not taking the banjo into true raga areas. I'll hunt down this one then! And with Vishwa Mohan Bhatt on the bill it should be quite nice, such a purity of tone he has.
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #7 
Really the first and last tracks are the closest things to raga. 1 is Charukeshi and last is something akin to Jog. It's on musicindiaonline.com
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.