INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
element-82

Registered:
Posts: 317
Reply with quote  #1 
hopefully I will pick some up at the concert tonight in Ottawa.

thanks,
Pb

__________________
Surbahar Dude (formerly Sitar Dude)
http://sitarplayer.net
0
Sitarfixer

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,937
Reply with quote  #2 
Can't think of a bad one. The highlight for me is the "Lajo Lajo" CD. More sing-songy than a black tie classical night out but oh so catchy. Whatever you pick up, you'll enjoy. If you get the chance, say "HI" to Shujaatbhai from Shailini and Tony in Poontown. Thank you and do enjoy the show.
__________________
http://www.karaseksound.com/
0
element-82

Registered:
Posts: 317
Reply with quote  #3 
Hey tony,
I'll see what is available there, lajo lajo it is then. I will pass along your regards.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Can't think of a bad one. The highlight for me is the "Lajo Lajo" CD. More sing-songy than a black tie classical night out but oh so catchy. Whatever you pick up, you'll enjoy. If you get the chance, say "HI" to Shujaatbhai from Shailini and Tony in Poontown. Thank you and do enjoy the show.

__________________
Surbahar Dude (formerly Sitar Dude)
http://sitarplayer.net
0
haldamos

Registered:
Posts: 221
Reply with quote  #4 
Hey all

Def check out his Aliya Bilawal, of Makar records, its amazing. Also, his Shudh Kalyan (or any other titles) from India Archive Records is very nice...he also recently recorded a Shri for India Archive, and it was brilliant. I don't know when that would be released, but when its out, def check it out...UCLA put out a Yaman that also included very insightful liner notes, with a dissection of the performance from an academic point of view...nice.

have a good show..

__________________
haldamos
0
sitarman

Registered:
Posts: 599
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, the Shudh Kalyan's liner notes are worth the price of the CD- very educational. That same label (India Archive?) has a CD of his that is about 6 or 7 short ragas done in bandish style- more songlike than developed ragas, with him singing the gats. At first it took me by surprise! Now I love it!
0
subbarao1

Registered:
Posts: 27
Reply with quote  #6 
I thought the Shahana from India Archive was good. Some interesting strumming techniques in the jor alap. But there is a mistake in the liner note -- the piece in pahari in dadra, not kehrwa.
0
element-82

Registered:
Posts: 317
Reply with quote  #7 
thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for them. BTW the concert was excellent! I had a great time, but Shujaat did not have any cds out for sale. We had a good turn out and a very knowledgable audience.

Pb

__________________
Surbahar Dude (formerly Sitar Dude)
http://sitarplayer.net
0
trippy monkey

Registered:
Posts: 4,281
Reply with quote  #8 
Good Heavens Paul

ANY Shujaat will do. 8) 8)
Can you tell I'm a fan???? :wink:

Nick
0
element-82

Registered:
Posts: 317
Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Nick,
the concert was great, I am officially a fan too Very different style from SP, he focuses on simplicity. I think it is a nice fresh approach and seems to have huge fan appeal. Next time I hope we can get a workshop set up!

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Good Heavens Paul

ANY Shujaat will do. 8) 8)
Can you tell I'm a fan???? :wink:

Nick

__________________
Surbahar Dude (formerly Sitar Dude)
http://sitarplayer.net
0
Kanti Dattani

Registered:
Posts: 213
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi,

I have the following CDs by Shujaat Ji. I w'd recommend the following 7 CDs (one of them is highly recommended)

DSAV1010* Holi & Basant
ECM1840 with Kayhan Kalhor who plays a Persian instrument Kamancheh, Gazal The Rain, rec Radio DRS Bern 01 (B2)
(N-REGD/1014 H.O.M. Records, Saaz Sukoon with Satish Sharma NO GOOD)
IAM1009*
IAM1025* with Tejendra rec NYC 95 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1029* rec NYC 90(B2) 6 ragas
IAM1037 rec NYC 92(A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1043 with Tejendra Majumdar on Sarod rec NYC 97 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1046 rec NYC 95 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1064 rec NYC 01 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1067 with Tejendra rec NYC 02 (A1+) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
IAMSP5501* Waiting for Love (v) rec 97 NYC (B2)
MAK016* Tradition of Khyal(A1) RECOMMENDED
NR052* & NR053* with Vilayat live RFH 93 Shujaat plays surbahar (C2)
NRCD182 live UK 95
NRCD5509 Stillness of sound rec New Delhi 2004 4 Gazals and 2 Songs/Bhajans
NV00010 (music today) Sur or Saaz (v) rec Toronto(B2)

If you require any further information please email me.

Regards

Kanti Dattani
0
element-82

Registered:
Posts: 317
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Kanti,
great info, thanks. I will look into these.

BTW this CD info would make a nice web page along with the NB info you posted earlier.
Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kanti
Hi,

I have the following CDs by Shujaat Ji. I w'd recommend the following 7 CDs (one of them is highly recommended)

DSAV1010* Holi & Basant
ECM1840 with Kayhan Kalhor who plays a Persian instrument Kamancheh, Gazal The Rain, rec Radio DRS Bern 01 (B2)
(N-REGD/1014 H.O.M. Records, Saaz Sukoon with Satish Sharma NO GOOD)
IAM1009*
IAM1025* with Tejendra rec NYC 95 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1029* rec NYC 90(B2) 6 ragas
IAM1037 rec NYC 92(A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1043 with Tejendra Majumdar on Sarod rec NYC 97 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1046 rec NYC 95 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1064 rec NYC 01 (A1) RECOMMENDED
IAM1067 with Tejendra rec NYC 02 (A1+) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
IAMSP5501* Waiting for Love (v) rec 97 NYC (B2)
MAK016* Tradition of Khyal(A1) RECOMMENDED
NR052* & NR053* with Vilayat live RFH 93 Shujaat plays surbahar (C2)
NRCD182 live UK 95
NRCD5509 Stillness of sound rec New Delhi 2004 4 Gazals and 2 Songs/Bhajans
NV00010 (music today) Sur or Saaz (v) rec Toronto(B2)

If you require any further information please email me.

Regards

Kanti Dattani

__________________
Surbahar Dude (formerly Sitar Dude)
http://sitarplayer.net
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.