INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
povster

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,487
Reply with quote  #1 
I just uploaded to my esnips a Vilayat Khan live Jog from around 1978 or so from a concert at the Smithsonian in Washington DC. I was in the audeince and tapes it on a cheap cassette recorder.

Also an All india Radio pre-1973 Arvind Parekh JogKauns.

Wish they were both clearer but wondering if anyone can identify the tabla players?

http://www.esnips.com/web/OlderRagaRecordings

__________________
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM
0
tablafreak

Registered:
Posts: 548
Reply with quote  #2 
For the Vilayat-Raga Jog, I would bet my money that the player is Zakir.

For the Arvind Parekh - JogKauns.mp3, the tabla player sounds dead on Kheramatullah Khan.

__________________
youtube.com/tablasolo
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tablafreak"
For the Vilayat-Raga Jog, I would bet my money that the player is Zakir.

For the Arvind Parekh - JogKauns.mp3, the tabla player sounds dead on Kheramatullah Khan.
Vilayat Khan - Jog - difficult to hear very clearly but sounds a little more like Alla Rakha than Zakir at that age IMO.

For Arvind Parikh- Jogkauns, Keramatullah Khan pre-1973 A.I.R. would be a good guess, but I wouldn't rule out a half-dozen or so other possibilities depending on which city the recording came from.

BTW - http://www.sitar.co.za/pdf/Saluting_Ustad_Vilayat_Khan.pdf

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
tablafreak

Registered:
Posts: 548
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Vilayat Khan - Jog - difficult to hear very clearly but sounds a little more like Alla Rakha than Zakir at that age IMO
Initially I thought it was Allah Rakha. But if you listen to the first part of the gat where the tabla comes in, the player plays a tihai with dhere dhere kot - using the palm. This is something that allah rakha really didnt do.

__________________
youtube.com/tablasolo
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tablafreak"
Initially I thought it was Allah Rakha. But if you listen to the first part of the gat where the tabla comes in, the player plays a tihai with dhere dhere kot - using the palm. This is something that allah rakha really didnt do.
Good observation. I'll give another listen.

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
povster

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,487
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks folks. As I think back to that concert I believe it well MAY have been a young Zakir on tabla.
__________________
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.