INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #46 
(and does ANYONE really think they can become Ravi Shankar overnight?)
I thought it was all about PROgression not REgression. :twisted:
Anyway Ravi's 'day' was many years ago & we ALL owe him a debt of bringing this all to our faces however we came to it, whatever we think of his playing style.
I once mentioned the 'trigger' for me was seeing 'The Golden Voyage of Sinbad' in the early 70s. Several others agreed too.
ICM has been a platform for me to state Who I Am to all that is 'not me', so to speak.

When I got my first surbahar mid 80s, I left the sitar alone for a while & then found when I went back to sitar, as the old adage goes about washing one's hair, I couldn't do a thing with it

Chandranji is right about ICM meaning so much to each of us as that's the thing. Because we're all different, we WILL get something different out of it to greater or lesser degrees. That's as much to do with each of us being individual as ICM itself.

Use all you have around you in your life as springboards for your 'SELF'.

Claim to be playing ICM when that's at the top of your list of 'things-to-do today'( & you know what you're talking about :wink: ). Then move on to make yourself more 'yourself'.
None of these things can exist without our creativity however limited we believe it to be.

OOH!!!! We've gone all esoterical (????) :wink:

RIGHT I'm off to lie down in a cool dark room for a bit. BYEEEE

Nick
sitarman

Reply with quote  #47 
Golden Voyage of Sinbad? Did I miss a a few taans behind the stop motion animation? Gotta rent that one again... I guess for me it was Monteray Pop.
povster

Reply with quote  #48 
OK, that's probably my fare share of posts for the month!

Well, Chandran, thank the Powers That Bee there are only a couple of days left in the month. You keep this hive of activity abuzz with honeyed words that take the sting out of these discussions and allow sweet reason to prevail!

On a more practical note - most intriquing thing about waking up the left big toe!

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #49 
Re Golden Voyage of Sinbad

The sequence, about an hour in, where the magician Koura brings a 6 armed statue, called Kali but is based on the Shiva Natraj figure, to life. It then descends some steps & dances to a vina, tabla & 5 string instrumental tanpura.
The creation is subsequently destroyed after fighting Sinbad & several of his crew.

At an 'Audience With' at 'The Lowry' near Manchester UK last september, Ray Harryhausen told me about the little orchestra they had for the recording session after I mentioned being drawn to Indian music because of it.

Nick
sitarman

Reply with quote  #50 
cool info. Boy, are we off the subject here, but I have always loved the film music of Bernard Hermann, who did several of Harryhausen's flicks- including 7th Vogage of Sinbad, one great fantasy with superb music. It IS interesting though how we, especially westerners, first got exposed to those non-western sounds.
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #51 
Hmmm Trigger? Lots for me I was in love with the sound well before I had a clue what it was. But a movie that stuck early on was "The Party" w/Peter Sellars playing a misplaced Bollywood director at a Hollywood party. Elephants in swimming pool ,LSD, and deadly stereotypes. Sinbad also carried me away....Roc! Roc on!

Reply with quote  #52 
" BirrrrDee Num Num" !

Reply with quote  #53 
Bernard Herrmann is my fav music composer. 7th voyage being top of my list. I've been tracking down his recordings for years now I have the original or rerecordings (Jason) of his Harryhausen stuff as well as all his Hitchcock.

Listen to that sitar bit on The Party titles. It's got that horrible 'western' vibrato we all 'hate'. Strangely, though, the soundtrack isn't the same as the film's. I was told Henry Mancini never used his actual soundtrack for recording the albums. Same with The Party as I have this & it's totally different.
I'm always on the lookout for Psychadelic or 'hippy' soundtracks, usually on ebay where I picked up 'Psych Out' on vinyl. That's the one with Jack Nicholson just before he directed 'The Trip' with Peter Fonda.

I think we need a new thread for this now.

Nick
sitarman

Reply with quote  #54 
Ok- one last post for you Tripster- I actually had a couple of albums I did (sold about 12 copies each back then in NYC!)in the early 70's re-issued by a German psychedelic record collector on his site http://www.psychedelic-music.com
Check out Pete Fine, or The Flow for my stuff. Anyway, he's got lots of crazy stuff on there.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #55 
sitarman
Thanks for the link. The thatched cottage looks like it could be in England. 8)
There's a track I had on reel to reel many years ago (mid 70s) taped from the radio that has the lyrics

'Fly brothers, fly. Spread your wings, spread them, brothers fly'

or something like that as a kind of chorus.

I've never been able to find out who did it. It had quite a psychadelic feel to it so it must have been late 60s early 70s. Obviously not later.
Any ideas??
Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.