INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AnahataNada

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I'm hoping one of the experts here can help me troubleshoot this issue: my main string has a buzzy/ twangy sound when I pull from the Dha fret. The tone is extra metallic and the sound basically dies. This is a recent development (I've had the sitar for over 2 years without an issue) - the Dha note sounds perfectly normal as long as I'm not pulling it. I've tried wiping down the actual fret and replacing the string, but neither has helped. Is this an issue with the jawari (which I'm clueless about)? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #2 
Hiya !! from North UK. Have had this 'problem' quite recently too.
It sounds like your string is catching on an upper fret as you say it happens only when you meend.
Is it possible to look carefully at an angle to see which one it is?
You could always get a 'taller' bridge if it's really bad & you can redo the jawari if t needs it.

Nick
Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnahataNada
Hello,

I'm hoping one of the experts here can help me troubleshoot this issue: my main string has a buzzy/ twangy sound when I pull from the Dha fret. The tone is extra metallic and the sound basically dies. This is a recent development (I've had the sitar for over 2 years without an issue) - the Dha note sounds perfectly normal as long as I'm not pulling it. I've tried wiping down the actual fret and replacing the string, but neither has helped. Is this an issue with the jawari (which I'm clueless about)? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Look at the string closely when doing your meend, is it touching the next fret up? It could be a fret has shifted laterally and the arch of it interfering with the string. A good possibility since you're getting a clear note without bending. Otherwise check your bridge that there isn't a deep groove underneath the string or a chip/rough edge, etc.

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with Lars. Just try pushing the fret to the left and to the right and see if either new position fixes it. Frets can loosen and shift over time causing this. Also you can try this on the next upper fret.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.