INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pointbland

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys,

I've been having a dredge through previous posts and found some really interesting stuff but also a few bits that make me more concerned. Can anyone offer up any hints or pitfalls to watch out for when buying instruments in India?

I'm traveling to Kerala in the South and am keen to either return with, or (most likely) to post back a Harmonium. But I'm also interested in an electronic Shruti box and a Bansuri / Venu. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience of buying instruments in India (Kerala in particular), or posting out of the country (back to the UK).

Also, can anyone offer up some help on harmonium specifics - I think I'd like one with equal-tuning (A440) if possible, this would make it much easier to incorporate the sound into my recorings back home. Is this likely to be possible?

Any other pointers would also be lovely.

Thanks!
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #2 
Forget about getting a good harmonium in the south. Calcutta and Delhi are where they are made. In the south you won't find shops carrying good harmoniums. I've been to every shop in Madras and they all carry junk harmoniums and fake Paul & Co.
K

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
pointbland

Reply with quote  #3 
Okey doke. Thanks for the heads up. I will still pick up some bits while i'm there though...

Does anyone have any experience of buying instruments, particularly in the South? Something a little more optimistic would be lovely!
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #4 
I'd love to be able to tell you what you want to hear - but in the south - it is notoriously difficult to find good quality instruments. When you speak to serious players of Carnatic music and ask where they obtained their instrument they almost invariably say they bought their instrument from some luthier who works out of his home and doesn't sell the to the shops. Music shops are only found in the big cities and in Madras - I've been to all the stores. If you're a discerning buyer - you can get a good deal on a mridungam, nadaswaram or a kanjira or S. Indian venu, and possibly S. Indian veena. But all the other stuff was the tawdry tourist quality stuff that you could spot from across the street. Electronic shruti boxes are not too hard to come by tho most shops carry electronic tanpuras. If you're looking for a venu - be sure to check out bin that it comes from. Frequently the venu that shops are selling - are infected with powder post beetles. Make sure the bin doesn't have lots of yellowish-white powder in the bottom. Powder post beetles are almost impossible to kill.

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
pointbland

Reply with quote  #5 
Excellent. Thanks Keshavdas. I'll have a look around and let you know what i manage to find!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
The best brand I know of for "Southie" instruments is "Ramjee" from Madras (Chenaii). Don't know if they are still in business. Get an old one if possible. I wouldn't risk getting anything new unless you really know what you're looking at. The old ones have a green inked metal label about 1/2" x 2 1/2". I used to own a veena and vocal tanpura from this company. Great stuff! If I were you and looking for a serious instrument, especially one of full size and fragility, I'd get something that's already in the Western Hemisphere, has been checked out by competent staff and has some kind of recourse should the very worse happen. In India that WILL NOT happen !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.