INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Mr B

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all

I know this has been asked before but I'd like to know if anyone knows of any reliable shops/tabla makers in Mumbai? My brother is working there at the moment and I've got the opportunity to buy a set.

I currently own what I would say is a student set and would like to buy a professional good quality tabla and bayan and a hard case. What is the average price for these in rupees - i.e. for a professional set. What does a concert set go for these days?

How can I guarentee getting a professional set and that the selling will not just sell me another student set for the price of a pro set? Anyone live in Mumbai that could help me?

I also have the option of getting a set from Chicago. Does anyone know of any decent shops there?

Thanks in advance!
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #2 
In Mumbai, Sohum enterprises will have a great set that can last a lifetime. Contact Upendra(he posts here frequently).

Protest Warrior sign.
Makwah

Reply with quote  #3 
Andy's Music in Chicago, they carry a lot of world instruments, including tablas. Though I am sure buying direct from Sohum in Mumbai, will get you the better quality.
Mr B

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks a lot guys. Will check them out.
Umer

Reply with quote  #5 
Mr B

Just wondering if you got a chance to visit Alex at Andy's Music....he reminds me of the comic book guy from the Simpsons... condescendingly knowledgeable.

The shop is awesome. I feel like a kid in candy store every time I go there. He has a ok range of tablas but his pudis didn't seem too appealing. Over the last 10 years I have bought my first tabla set, a dayan, dholak, dhol, bansuri, and a didgeridoo from him.

Alex quoted me $100 to rehead my dayan and (comic book guyishly) told me "Labor costs more in the USA, that is part of the reason you and perhaps your family moved to this fabulous capitalist nation" when I said that this was too pricey...I thank him for encouraging me to rehead my own tablas.

I am in the process of buying a couple of heads form Upendra. I have not received them yet but I am astonished buy the level of professionalism and candor with which Upendra has communicated with me thus far. At this point he can practically send me 2 sheets of napkins with crayon-drawn circles and I would still be satisfied.

Anyway this is my personal experience and might not be the same for others. I do recommend you go to Andy's Music and post your opinion.

Regards,
Umer
annamalayaar

Reply with quote  #6 
With Upendra you'll be happy!!!
No amount of learning can teach one to give up the ego.The best course is to catch hold of what is real, without any support.He who is fully conscious is really God. He is the real nature of one's own true state.The experience is silence,it cannot speak.
Pujadaddy

Reply with quote  #7 
I just bought some tabla from Haridas Vhatkar in Mahim (Mumbai) and am completely happy with my purchase (in March).

He makes many tabla for Zakir Hussain, Anindo Chatterjee, Talvin Singh, Yogesh Samsi and many more, so if you want a hypnotic sounding tabla, I highly recommend contacting him.

Oh and yes, he IS more expensive than other makers, and it's worth EVERY rupee.

Brian
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Umer"
Mr B

Just wondering if you got a chance to visit Alex at Andy's Music....he reminds me of the comic book guy from the Simpsons... condescendingly knowledgeable.

The shop is awesome. I feel like a kid in candy store every time I go there. He has a ok range of tablas but his pudis didn't seem too appealing. Over the last 10 years I have bought my first tabla set, a dayan, dholak, dhol, bansuri, and a didgeridoo from him.

Alex quoted me $100 to rehead my dayan and (comic book guyishly) told me "Labor costs more in the USA, that is part of the reason you and perhaps your family moved to this fabulous capitalist nation" when I said that this was too pricey...I thank him for encouraging me to rehead my own tablas.

I am in the process of buying a couple of heads form Upendra. I have not received them yet but I am astonished buy the level of professionalism and candor with which Upendra has communicated with me thus far. At this point he can practically send me 2 sheets of napkins with crayon-drawn circles and I would still be satisfied.

Anyway this is my personal experience and might not be the same for others. I do recommend you go to Andy's Music and post your opinion.

Regards,
Umer

If only Alex had nearly as much knowledge as comic book guy. Hell, he'd be great if he had HALF the knowledge he thinks he does! LOL Poor guys attitude cost his shop a $2000 purchase from me and unknowingly (and luckily for me) sent me into the loving arms of Tony Karasek for my sitar purchase. The places people here buy from online seem much more reasonable for good tabla set at least from what I've seen. I've also had some trouble with an instrument I bought from there(right after purchasing) and received horrible customer service from Alex. The whole time he begrudgingly helped me he was also shit talking and trying to force me into taking some lessons from him. HA, yea right! Luckily I had already seen his trainwreck youtube sitar videos... figured I'd at least add my experience buying from Andy's. Funny enough, I had a friend who asked him about reheading a tabla and was told he didn't feel like dealing with it. :roll:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.