INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
BrotherLeaf

Reply with quote  #1 
A friend of mine is going to be at Delhi, and may buy a tambura for me.
Is there any serious shop to send her to buy a good MKS or P&Brothers?
She doesn't know anything about Indian Music, and I dont want to get a tourist crap.

Thanks.
HernĂ¡n
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #2 
You can go to even the best places in Delhi and still get crap if the person who is doing the buying is inexperienced and undiscerning. You could send your friend to say, Rikhi Ram but if they see she's not an experienced player - they won't bother to check or touch up the jawari - so you can end up with a great instrument that sounds like crap due to the lack of attention to the jawari. It's the nature of the Indian music business. They only pay attention to detail if you're famous - which adds to their cache, or if you know what you want and firmly demand that the instrument is properly prepared. Our jawari and repair person, owns a number of Hiren Roy sitars. All the ones built in later years, not by the grand old man himself, were only satisfactory to him because he went every day to the workshop and supervised (nit-picked) the workers in person. All those hours spent watching the workers taught him the details of the many ways the quality of an instrument can be short-changed by the indifference of the instrument builders. The only hi-end instrument makers I would absolutely recommend with no reservations would be Tony Karasek in Pune or JK Sengupta in Calcutta. They've got a totally different work ethic. A dying breed to be sure.
shagird

Reply with quote  #3 
Keshavji,

Would you be having JK Sengupta's contact info?

Thanks in advance
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #4 
Sengupta's phone numbers are: 2576-7269 (landline) 8:00 - 10:30 a.m.
His mobile # is: 933977 1010 / 1:00 - 8:00 p.m. He speaks excellent English and can direct you to the shop which is a five minute walk from the Shobha Bazaar subway station. Many former Hiren Roy devotees are buying from him now and folks who miss the opportunity to buy one of his instruments while he is alive and well - will be kicking themselves for years to come.
Cheers,
Keshav
shagird

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks a lot. Would you be having any pics of instruments made by him?
element-82

Reply with quote  #6 
I think sitarsetc has one in the preowned section. Looks like a nice sitar.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "shagird"
Thanks a lot. Would you be having any pics of instruments made by him?

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #7 
I don't have pictures - but I can tell you that his attention to detail and his quality of finish is without a doubt - the equal to anything Hiren Roy has ever made and clearly superior to anything I have seen from Rikhi Ram. I don't work for Sengupta Ji and I don't "get a piece of the action". I just like to see great artisans be appreciated. Manilal Nag has several pieces from him. And during the last few years of his life Vilayat Khan went to him for all his jawari work.
Cheers,
Keshav
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.