INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Roland

Reply with quote  #1 
For those who wonder what a Sitar looks like on the inside,but have never seen one (and others who may have an interest in their construction ) - I came across a set of photos of a broken sitar.Tragic , but very interesting.Go to http://www.flickr.com and type : broken sitar in the URL box. I hope this sitar doesn't belong to a forum member. Peace and hope , if it does.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Familiar shots to me these as I visited a shop called Bombay Stores in Yorkshire UK recently & saw toooooo many instruments like this.
I managed to 'recue' some of them & will be going back on another rscue mission in a few weeks time.

Nick
festus

Reply with quote  #3 
I've never had to work on one with a toomba in that bad of shape... but I do see under the tabli where a crack had been reglued and reinforced with gauze and they're mucilage type glue. I've seen this gauze method under several tabli before but never down the exact center. I've seen the gauze treatment on the outside of toombas and then covered up so that you'd never know it was there.....
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Smashed gourds aside, these pics expose the kind of quality that has to be expected from a $300 special. This and many other cloth, plaster and putty tricks are standard issue and can be found on even higher end stuff. All considered normal practice and any regard to 'finish' is laughed at. These pics speak volumes. I've got an album of similar jewels as well. Imagine a tanpuri made up from six different pieces of wood scraps, filled in nail holes, etc. and that's just on the tabli and tumba area. Folk art at its finest! Thanks for bringing up this point with these pics. Good stuff!

Reply with quote  #5 
Mentioning that 'join'. I had a look to see if it was actually TWO pieces stuck together rather than a crack as the 'fix' is all the way down.
I couldn't find a join from the pic but would've had I been there.

Isn't the outside gauze business where the gourd's been shaped rather than trying to hide something?

It's a shame Tony talks about these bloody nightmares but it IS a fact of 'some' sitar that are sold to westerners.

Nick
Andius

Reply with quote  #6 
interesting inside look. Someone put the main bridge on wrong way round. Even with tumba intact would have had a "unique" sound!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.