INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Most Knowledgable Gurus of Bridgedom,
When converting a Kharaj Pancham style bridge to GP style, what is the standard spacing between 1st and 2nd strings? Is it OK to just move the 2nd over to the 3rd slot (likewise at the peg end)? Should the 1st also be moved slightly to allow for great meends?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Doing the "string thing 2 step" should work just fine. Quick and easy. Bridges dedicated as VK types (6 slots) are often a bit more equally spaced but still providing the extra room for string #1. I think this is done to allow the single string hits arpeggio style that Ustad Shujaat Khan and some other super dudes get into.
As far as "standard spacing", I know of none. Every shop and player will have a prefered setting. Seems to be a real eyeball issue. The only consideration I have is sufficient bridge area for the highest chikari. I've seen a lot of these dangerously close to the edge (down by the river).
Moving the first string "slightly" might get you 1/2 step of meend. If that's worth reslotting the nut and bridge, go for it. Seems a bit messy to me. I don't like patched pieces with extra slots. You decide! Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
I've done this and it was ok, but the Sa string in the 3rd slot is too far over for my liking, especially if you play on it. The Ga string in the karaj slot is no fun. It just sounds off or muffled and doesn't stay in tune well. I would just get a new proper GP jawari. It will sound better when it holds the strings tightly.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Hey Most Knowledgable Gurus of Bridgedom,
When converting a Kharaj Pancham style bridge to GP style, what is the standard spacing between 1st and 2nd strings? Is it OK to just move the 2nd over to the 3rd slot (likewise at the peg end)? Should the 1st also be moved slightly to allow for great meends?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.