INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Acelga

Reply with quote  #1 
I just took the pudi off of the very first bayan I bought, just for measuring it properly, and found that it has inside a very nice, eye-pleasant yellow tone.
The chrome finish is not bright anymore. It already lost the cool mirror-effect. I think it would maybe be nice to have this layer removed and let the nice golden color.
But has somebody any hint how to do that?
If I have to sand the entire bayan forget it! :wink:
va4leo

Reply with quote  #2 
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

use a Metal polish and get the mirror finish back! The yellow tone is probably brass? That will tarnish a LOT faster than Chrome! I polish my brass Baaya the other day...without even doing a proper job it shines pretty!!

Reply with quote  #3 
I had looked into it and the cost turned out to be prohibitive.

Basically, you take it to chroming place and have it De-chromed. Based on the underlying metal and the current chrome, they submerge in to a concussion chemicals that I cannot spell, pronounce, or even figure-out where they begin or end. Process is repeated several times at varying temperatures using varying chemicals.

I was told, it would take about a week and the cost was around $400 about 10 years ago. Later, I confirmed the findings with a Metallurgist and he said that sounds about right!
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #4 
The Daggas (Bayans) are not Chrome Platted. Those are Nickel Platted.
you wont believe this but, the cost of removing the old nickle platting and then redoing it, is very cheap here in INDIA. Its less than 10$. what more they remove the dents of the Bayan and make it nice and smooth before doing the nickel platting.

-U
Acelga

Reply with quote  #5 
What a pity then. It is expensive and I don
va4leo

Reply with quote  #6 

Reply with quote  #7 
va4leo

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm talking about a metal polish paste / liquid like "Brasso". My chromed tabla is like a
Mirror now. It took like 10minutes to polish. No sand, just two dry cloths and a bottle of metal polish. I think you will be astonished at the results. Really!! The pictures I linked you of the nylon strapped baaya, that was the one I polished. The job could have been better if I had more time.

Reply with quote  #9 
For removing the dirty looking old nickel platting, here the craftsman holds it in a rotating machine and does pressured emery polishing with super fine emery paper. that removes the old nickel platting. after that you can just apply brasso and rub it hard with a soft cloth after 10 mins, and the bayan will shine like a new brass bayan.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.