INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
shurbahar

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings all, my first time to post

I was wondering about what you use for the lower strings, brass or copper?
When i was a beginner, the sitar strings i got were brass. But someone told me that copper gives a better sound. What are your thoughts?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi
Copper we use for the second Jor string & the other 2, as in Kharaj Pancham style, are brass.
I've never seen copper in this large a gauge before.

Nick
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #3 
I have a question-

Is there any reason for not using brass for the jod string? It seems much more resilient to meends than the copper wire. I feel like the reason must be tone quality,otherwise...

Just a passing thought! Interested to hear input.

Peace,
Tomek
shurbahar

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the reply,

So I see that copper is typical for the second Jor string (mandra Sa).
No large gauge copper? Interesting. I use copper for both Atinmandra Pa and Sa. But then again, the last time I bought these gauges were in the late 70's. Ashok Naskar, Naskar babu's eldest son took me around to buy music wire by weight.

I have to shop around for these strings coz my stash has about run out.

Any suggestions on which shop in India I can email to order strings?
I think I can have the shop send it to an address in India and maybe a friend hand carry the stuff when he travels.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
I've only seen brass for the second string on the $40 sets from La Bella. That wire looked too thin and with nearly 3" of winding for the loop, the use of a bead is eliminated ! I suppose with a proper gauge, brass would be ok. I lean to brass on the kharaj. It bends over the bridge better than bronze at that .028 gauge making jawari work a lot easier. In terms of sound difference, can't say. Everybody has different ears and preferences.

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting. Actually, the only brass string on my sitar is kharaj, and of course the pancham handles meend just fine. I guess that jod is juuust too thin. It's too bad, although, clearly we get by.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.