INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chris thill

Reply with quote  #1 
I've bought Learning the sitar by David Courtney and Srinivas Koumounduri, and started working with it. Well, I think it's worth saying that it's really a great book. Perhaps a bit too thin : something about the ornaments would have been welcome, and perhaps a few more thats/rags. But for a first contact with the instrument, I don't think you could make a companion book that would be much better than this. Definitely recommended.
Dspeck

Reply with quote  #2 
No ornaments in a book about playing sitar? Is that possible? I don't expect this book to be wrong or bad, I am wondering only.
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dspeck"
No ornaments in a book about playing sitar? Is that possible? I don't expect this book to be wrong or bad, I am wondering only.
Actually, there is a great deal to learn that don't involve ornaments. Trying to learn ornamentation from a book is probably an exercise in futility. Before ornaments should even be considered, a good amount of material must be mastered. So I would tend to respect a book that does not cover ornamentation. Such things are best learned from a teacher, after a good deal of lessons in the more basic aspects.

chris thill

Reply with quote  #4 
Ornaments are mentioned, but David's idea (explicitely stated) is that they are a complex topic best left for a more advanced stage of study.

And it's true that, for a beginner, it might be best to first concentrate on which notes to play.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.