INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
supertabla

Reply with quote  #1 
I could find no discussion of this upon searching here. Has anyone used them? I have seen some sets for sale recently online. I've seen and heard dholak that used metal peg (bolt) tuners but never heard anyone playing tabla with said tuners. Even on youtube I could find no videos.

Does anyone have experience with such tablas?
VNO Design

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes, unfortunately they don't work well. Not only do the metal hooks hurt your hand should you strike one, but they are generally uncomfortable all around to play on. Also the tension is cumbersome to adjust, and you have to drill holes all over your shell to install it in the first place. If you are looking for a tuning solution, give this a look:
It was just released a few months ago and I've already sold 5 of the first run of 10. I will be posting pictures of the remaining 5 and their specs in the next few weeks so stay tuned, or better yet follow me on Twitter or my Facebook company page. Cheers,

pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VNO
Yes, unfortunately they don't work well. Not only do the metal hooks hurt your hand should you strike one, but they are generally uncomfortable all around to play on. Also the tension is cumbersome to adjust, and you have to drill holes all over your shell to install it in the first place. If you are looking for a tuning solution, give this a look:
It was just released a few months ago and I've already sold 5 of the first run of 10. I will be posting pictures of the remaining 5 and their specs in the next few weeks so stay tuned, or better yet follow me on Twitter or my Facebook company page. Cheers,
That's exactly what my teacher (Ty Burhoe) said years and years ago when I toyed with the idea of the bolt-tuned tabla, especially the idea that it will hurt like hell if your finger slips just a little which is a real possibility for a beginner.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.