INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ntac

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear Friends
I am a relative beginner and play tabla mainly in Kirtans (Indian devotional chanting). I would be grateful for any suggestions of simple Bols I can use during bhajans which are often repetitive and whose main purpose is to guide the chanter to deeper levels of consciousness. The beat is usually a steady one and supports the main rhythm with the occasional variation as a natural outpouring of devotion.
jmain

Reply with quote  #2 
I am very much a pre-beginner, in that I have no tabla but been reading in hopes of having some understanding when I finally have it.

I have already received Learning Tabla 1 and began to read it. Some of the same information as this site, but in one publication I can study from.

This article has been an "aha" for compositional understanding. Maybe it will help you as well.
http://www.chandrakantha.com/tablasite/articles/cyclic.htm

Such a wealth of information here that I am already very grateful to David for the breadth and depth of his understanding and willingness to share. I'm also grateful to the constant contributions on this forum.

-Jesse
scodoha

Reply with quote  #3 
Would it be fair to ask you to explain deeper levels of consciousness?
Lee Sanella published a great work The Kundalini Experience: Psychosis or Transcendence on the physiologial/material aspects of Kundalini raising.
Chanting as in meditation can cause a feedback loop in the brain which triggers a "sensation" known as bliss.
You've pretty much nailed the drumming aspect of it when you say repetitive rhythms in that their use is a tool for relaxation and the engagement of rhythmic breathing. Its the breathing and the posture that does the trick.
Here's one of my favorites
Dha tun na Dhin na Dhun Dha tin
jmain

Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry if I didn't really answer the OP's question. I got excited about the article I was reading.
ntac

Reply with quote  #5 
Dear 'jmain' and 'scodoha'
Thank you both for your helpful comments - I found them very useful. With regard to your question on levels of consciousness - of course it is fair to ask but I feel a discussion is probably outside the remit of this forum. Briefly, I learned from my Guru of the different states of chanting from chanting aloud, whisper, mental, subconscious and finally superconscious chanting which is a state of realization bringing one into the Divine Presence. This experience is the goal of chanting and goes beyond the words and the music.
quintino

Reply with quote  #6 
hello scodoha,
today i tried the Dha tun na Dhin na Dhun Dha tin - works well,thank you for posting.
You have probably likewise combinations - would you post them ? I like this anodyne effect.
ntac

Reply with quote  #7 
In addition to the really nice bol suggested earlier in this thread I have come across another good one accompany bhajans. Link is:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.