INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
PAZ

Reply with quote  #1 
Sorry for the unoriginal title but I really love this.

Hope someone could help me decode the tabla laungae.

Dil cheez
Karsh kale.

I think it starts of in either dadra 6 or kharwa 8, moves into teen taal, then back to kharwa.

My tabla iq is still very low.

Hope you guys like the track

Paz
Peace
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "PAZ"
Sorry for the unoriginal title but I really love this.

Hope someone could help me decode the tabla laungae.

Dil cheez
Karsh kale.

I think it starts of in either dadra 6 or kharwa 8, moves into teen taal, then back to kharwa.

My tabla iq is still very low.

Hope you guys like the track

Paz
Peace

Definitely Keherwa .... Something like this ...

DhaGe NaTi NaKa DhinNa | DhaGe Nati NaKa DhinNa

but lots of other variations on the same thing (more or less)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Tirakitataka

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Paz,

Sorry for the off-road thing but I heard the song as it was "Dil Cheez kya hai" and got extremely disappointed with this creation. This is one of the gem in Bollywood music created by Khaiyaam and Asha Bhosale which in it's original form is extremely beautiful.

I have played tabla on this song in stage performance and this was one of the most difficult songs to reproduce (in it's original form not turned and twisted like in that link)

Tabla in this song is very beautiful and as Pascal mentioned it is Kehrwa and has Adha in interlude as well.

The basic theka in the begining is

Dhin S nadhin S S ti Na Na

Dha Dha Dha Tin S Ti Na Na

Then in interlude and on Mukhada it goes as

Dha S Tinak Dhin

And there are Adha teen taal and all that.

It is very difficult to explain these variations of Kehrwa in text but hope this will help you a bit.

I would suggest to listen to the original song from "Umrao Jaan" rather than this fusion to understand it better.

Cheers
PAZ

Reply with quote  #4 
Pascal,

Thank you for confirming the taal, I thought it was kharwa but for some reason thoughts heard some dadra in there.

Tirakitetake,

Thank you also for the theka.

I agree with you the original is very good, but I like the fact that karsh kale actually wanted to pay respect to the original and put his signature mark of fusion on to it.it speaks volumes in preserving the greatness of the original. I like the modernization of these old gems. It allows accommadation of a ordinance that otherwise would may never have heard the song. For me it also solidifies how great the original song really is.

Sorry you did not not enjoy this version. I grew up listening to these old gems and then started to listen to fusion music, so it feels very natural to me.

Thank you for your imput.

Paz
Peace
Danielmorgan

Reply with quote  #5 
oh ! wow .. I'm finding it quite amazing what the lyrics you are producing .. there will surely be some science behind it to be in such formation for sure .. how do you do it ? .... as my knowledge into classical Indian music is very low but yes I've seen the charts and books based on it to teach a right way to go for the same which is I'm going through currently....
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.