INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
quintino

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Forum,
A few days ago I was jaming with a dobro blues guitarist. He is a virtuous player. I was playing something like dhi ke dha na - thi ke dha na , but it did not sound quiet good.
Who knows some standard pattern / kaidas which fits better for this kind of fusion music ?
evening84

Reply with quote  #2 
Can you post some Youtube videos representative of the kind of music being played ? That may help in getting a feel for the groove requirement and perhaps I can provide some suggestions on what might work.
quintino

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes. Here are the main themes :

fdf

Reply with quote  #4 
As a pro blues guitarist and tabla student I can suggest you that first you should decide whether it might be better to play a "straight" rhythm or a syncopated one. And then start from there... Most tabla stuff is played straight, but I think that for a blues feel it often need a syncopated (swinging) rhythm.
Frank
evening84

Reply with quote  #5 
I am afraid nothing jumps out as THE pattern to play with the clip - I would play several straight kaida/rela themes and pick one that feels right. Sorry for the wishiwashiness of the answer. In fact, I quite like the Happy Tarang (the next track that you have on there) - perhaps a slightly slower variation of the same would work.
gatabera

Reply with quote  #6 
This is kind of a challenging piece to play tabla with. The reason is that the rhythmic groove is not clearly defined. There are two ways you could define it better:

1) The tabla greats the rythmic pattern and the dobro player follows
2) The dobro player creates the groove and the tabla player improvises over that

You should study this album "Meeting by the River" 

I think you could get some ideas from that. The tabla player is playing keherwa variations. Basically an 8 beat taal. I hope that helps. Good luck. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.