INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
element-82

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
I've been thinking about black water buffalo horn for jawari, chickari pegs, taraf eyelets, nut, langot etc. I have heard that it polishes up jet black. Has anyone had any experience with this material for jawari?

Tonyk, did that "nevermore" have this material for taraf eyelets? Any comments on this material would be appreciated.

thanks
Pb

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Howdy! Yep, the 'Nevermore' is indeed fitted with the black buffalo horn. Works great. The stuff is usually seen on tanpura bridges - reasons unknown aside from availability. The durability is comparable to the off-white deer horn, at least from my experience. Cosmetics is the primary issue, I suspect. Goths, unite in celebration !!! Polish - get the stuff down smooth to #600 sandpaper then hit it with a buffing wheel. My Dremel tool distinguished itself on this step! 'Nevermore' really shined up! On the chikari posts and taraf eyelets, the grain will be in line with the wire tension (as on deerhorn, too). It's too soon to tell if the wire will cut into the material or not. I'm sure I'll hear back if this is an issue. With this in mind, I'm revising all future tailpieces to the "Miraj" design which resembles the standard vocal tanpura tailpiece setup. THis design allows cross grain positioning of the string contact area and also allows making the unit as wide as you like. I'm thinking lots of elbow room for the tuning duckies and unlimited cosmetic carving possibilities.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Tony,
thanks for the feedback. I think it is worth a try. If it is at least as good as the usual deer horn, I am more than happy. In searching the web for jawari material google brought some strange stuff to light: synthetic ivory and "real" mamoth ivory blocks, and from the same dealer. Hmmm, for knife handles of all things.

Ya, I don't mind making a sitar fashion statement, as long as it sounds good, nothing matters.

The wide tail piece sounds interesting. I am thinking about the instrumental tanpuras with the tail piece that sticks out a fair bit. Is that correct? Does it require a case mod?

I would like to find some of those VK twist/crank type fine tuners. They are not as cool as the raven tuner, but sounds practical and easy to use. I am surprised they never really caught on.

thanks,
Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Howdy! Yep, the 'Nevermore' is indeed fitted with the black buffalo horn. Works great. The stuff is usually seen on tanpura bridges - reasons unknown aside from availability. The durability is comparable to the off-white deer horn, at least from my experience. Cosmetics is the primary issue, I suspect. Goths, unite in celebration !!! Polish - get the stuff down smooth to #600 sandpaper then hit it with a buffing wheel. My Dremel tool distinguished itself on this step! 'Nevermore' really shined up! On the chikari posts and taraf eyelets, the grain will be in line with the wire tension (as on deerhorn, too). It's too soon to tell if the wire will cut into the material or not. I'm sure I'll hear back if this is an issue. With this in mind, I'm revising all future tailpieces to the "Miraj" design which resembles the standard vocal tanpura tailpiece setup. THis design allows cross grain positioning of the string contact area and also allows making the unit as wide as you like. I'm thinking lots of elbow room for the tuning duckies and unlimited cosmetic carving possibilities.

coyootie

Reply with quote  #4 
this is probably not an isuue if your sitar is constantly being played, but horn ( as opposed to antler and bone) is subject to some nasty insect damage. dunno exactly what specie of bug it is but it's he same little bastards that like to eat fur, hair, and rawhide.the main thing is to avaoid putting horn in an enclosed dark space undisturbed for long periods... like in a case in a closet . seems that lavender and cedar in a loose cloth bag will help to repel them but it's not guaranteed!
element-82

Reply with quote  #5 
Interesting point. I wonder why horn is more susceptable to jawari bugs? I tend to play every day, so I am not too worried,but it would be really annoying to open your case and see a bunch of roaches munching on your jawari.
Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
this is probably not an isuue if your sitar is constantly being played, but horn ( as opposed to antler and bone) is subject to some nasty insect damage. dunno exactly what specie of bug it is but it's he same little bastards that like to eat fur, hair, and rawhide.the main thing is to avaoid putting horn in an enclosed dark space undisturbed for long periods... like in a case in a closet . seems that lavender and cedar in a loose cloth bag will help to repel them but it's not guaranteed!

AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #6 
Hello,
Nevermore has buffalo horn langot, nuts, bidis and chikari posts There is no sign of wear on the parts that are in contact with strings. This post made me take out my magnifying glass to check. The only part that was a problem was the chikari post for the short Sa string. the post is arched outwards and carved very delicatly and flexs along the grain when the string is tuned. It took me a while to figure that one out, the string would not stay in tune. I just need to put slight pressure on it after I tune the string to set it back in position. I'll carve a slightly thicker one when I mug a local Buffalo for its horn. Their not native to the Mojave Desert but I might catch one on the way to Vegas.
When T and I designed the color scheme on Nevermore I did not want any bone or white ornamentation the horn was an old and under used alternative. A note about the Raven: Its not a tuning peg, it does direct the chikari strings away from the neck so the Kharaj string is easy to meend. I tried to integrate the local flora and fauna of my home into the sitar. The tabli "Flowers" are representations of a Datura bud and leaves and the Raven is a depiction of our Raven familier "Faust".
Faust has set on a wire and told me about the local goings on for 4 years and moved in to our yard this year. He sits on our hands in our laps and is on very good terms with our 6 dogs. Its helpful for me to be staring at a trickster when I play so I don't forget the relative insignificance of my actions. He also keeps a handle on the various vipers that abound here.

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Abdulatif,
good to know that it holds up well. I thought you had ebony on there. I like the raven idea.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AbdulLatif"
Hello,
Nevermore has buffalo horn langot, nuts, bidis and chikari posts There is no sign of wear on the parts that are in contact with strings. This post made me take out my magnifying glass to check. The only part that was a problem was the chikari post for the short Sa string. the post is arched outwards and carved very delicatly and flexs along the grain when the string is tuned. It took me a while to figure that one out, the string would not stay in tune. I just need to put slight pressure on it after I tune the string to set it back in position. I'll carve a slightly thicker one when I mug a local Buffalo for its horn. Their not native to the Mojave Desert but I might catch one on the way to Vegas.
When T and I designed the color scheme on Nevermore I did not want any bone or white ornamentation the horn was an old and under used alternative. A note about the Raven: Its not a tuning peg, it does direct the chikari strings away from the neck so the Kharaj string is easy to meend. I tried to integrate the local flora and fauna of my home into the sitar. The tabli "Flowers" are representations of a Datura bud and leaves and the Raven is a depiction of our Raven familier "Faust".
Faust has set on a wire and told me about the local goings on for 4 years and moved in to our yard this year. He sits on our hands in our laps and is on very good terms with our 6 dogs. Its helpful for me to be staring at a trickster when I play so I don't forget the relative insignificance of my actions. He also keeps a handle on the various vipers that abound here.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.