INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
What is the biggest meend you can pull of on your sitar?
On both my sitars from (middle) sa to komal dha is the limit, shudh dha is not possible because there is no more space on the neck.
I tune the C#.

Are there sitars that can go higher then the komal dha? do they have a much wider neck?
There is not much need to higher because I mostly meend until pa, but I am still curious.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Just how big do you feel a meend has to be?!!??!

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Bench mark meends by consensus require PA - SA ( fret 2 - 7 ), SA - PA ( fret 7 - 13 ). Years back, I set up a few sitars with a 4" wide neck as I was getting "requests" for sitars with over the edge meend range. Result was increased range from PA - MA ( fret 2 - 11 ), SA - SA ( fret 7 - 17 ) , all with string margin at the end of the fret. The sitar could handle it but the players fingers could not - obviously ! ! ! - and so, back to the 3 5/8" wide neck and more reasonable, practical and less painful meend. If you want to increase the meendability on your sitar, higher arched frets and a taller main bridge will do the job.

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Result was increased range from PA - MA ( fret 2 - 11 ), SA - SA ( fret 7 - 17 ) , all with string margin at the end of the fret. The sitar could handle it but the players fingers could not - obviously ! ! !

That will be very hard on your fingers indeed! Would be nice if you could play an entire one octave scale on one fret though, just for fun.
Maybe if you would use a very light string it would not be too hard for your fingers.
mizrable

Reply with quote  #5 
Ive been working on long meends on my kharaj string for a few years. on my heman I dont get a true shuddha Re on the 2nd fret in the low register so I have to pull a little on the 2nd fret to begin with but I can go from Re to Sa..tough on your fingers not only do your grooves turn into canyons...but you develop these fake grooves below your fingertip where pancham gets bunched from pulling into its territory on the fret...
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #6 
is 3 5/8" a standard for pro sitars ?

I ask because, ahem, both my beauties are slightly shy of 3 1/2" and I am now feeling decidedly deflated ops: .............

I can however manage 2-7 / 7-13 meends with relative (ouch)ease :?

Carl
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #7 
3 1/2" is pretty much the standard. I cranked my run out at 3 5/8" - just enough to make a smile appear. My new stuff is also in this range.

Miz - sounds like your kharaj needs one of those nifty bass blocks to get that string in tune with the frets. Yoy might also try a double slot chikari post for chikari #6 which can then also hold the pancham string with that string then rerouted under the nut outboard to the #5 peg. Your finger will then have a clear shot at your kharaj string.

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mizrable"
I can go from Re to Sa...
is your name Popeye?
From Re (2nd fret) to Sa on the kharaj seems impossible (for me). I can go from Re to Dha but that is it. I think that is pretty normal for most sitars.
Not to mention the detuning of the kharaj when doing such big meends.
mizrable

Reply with quote  #9 
Playing surb changed my psychology about how I handle the kharaj. I love this string! If I practice an hour of alap I devote at least 10-15 minutes to playing this string...the sounds of the timbers really come out!eventually on a good instrument the string will settle and will hold it's tune... Alot of it is leverage. But it requires some strength too. I used to feel like I got punched in the shoulder after 20minutes of playing it ... Then I started doing pullups! ... No bulging forearms yet!
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #10 
Interesting.
I think I've got a bit of a girly sitar, with a somewhat petite neck width of 3 1/4 inches. So Sa to tivra Ma is absolute max for me before I fall off the end.
Tony's point about bridge width makes a lot of sense though, never thought about that before. My old sitar had lost it's original bridge when I got it so I put on a (presumably) standard size one. Narrow neck, wide bridge... probably not the best combination then. And there's no room to yank it over to the left either because then it just chokes the 1st chikari against the 2nd post. Maybe worth thinking about looking for a smaller bridge or closer string slots...

Just realised you said bridge height, not bridge width. But presumably bridge width and string slot spacings will also have an effect?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
A few years back, I had Anoushka Shankars sitar in my paws. The chikari strings were nearly 1/2" outboard of the side of the neck. Real thumb slicer, that one ! Point is, by resetting the chikari posts so that they lean out at an extreme angle, you can then shift the bridge over in the same direction ( pinning as needed ). This now shifts all the top strings over giving a load of added meend range off the derailed MA string. Might be something to consider if you need that turbo boost.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.