INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Diego"
Incidental query: I wonder, has anyone ever seen any particularly large Bayans around? these seem to now come in more or less standard sizes, very small range, though my teacher once did have a rather large one (though he did find it uncomfortable to play)
How large you want it ? and how much heavy you want ?
I have 9.5" and 9.75" as well.

Upendra
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #32 
NINE & TREE QUARTERS :!: :?: :!: :?:
DANG UPENDRA - DAT BE ONE BIG BONGO

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #33 
My current one is about 9.5-9.75" already. And it really does not give much contrast with my big dayan at all – the notes, open, are only about a third apart.

I'm being rather silly and thinking about 12" here. Or is that just crazy?
zennman

Reply with quote  #34 
I have a 10.5 inch light-weight bayan (like the ones that come with student model tablas). It was my very first tabla, and was bought in Chennai, which is not really a place to buy tablas. I never realized it was a large bayan till I ruined the syahi (trying to get better sound) and had to shop for a new skin. I couldn't find any. I had to send specs. to Akbar Miyan shop in Hyderabad, and they made a custom skin for me. The bayan still sounds like mud (very low volume, plopping sound, and hurts my hands), but occasionally, when the weather is just right, it sings like a beast. On the whole though, I find it a fairly useless instrument.
Diego

Reply with quote  #35 
Ah, interesting point – I should bear in mind reheading.

Well, one query would be how much difference in pitch the syahi and skin thickness makes for a bayan.

My current bayan is admittedly not of the highest quality, bought it at Jas musicals, London, the 'semiprofessional' (there's the professional model above it). The skin and the drum both feel fairly light, the syahi is not much at all. I wonder if simply getting a proper bayan with proper skin (and syahi – perhaps a good, thick syahi? although it's always thinnish on bayans) is the solution, rather than simply size. My first proper tabla teacher, in Barcelona, had a beautiful, very heavy bayan that really sang – I get varying response from my current teacher's bayans, perhaps it's the weather and the moisture in London air makes bayans ploppier.
Diego

Reply with quote  #36 
(and, side note, Upendra, thanks for the heads-up on the bayans – after my Uni exams, I'll shop around for a bayan properly, so your informations handy)
Diego

Reply with quote  #37 
Pps: On the clay bayan issue, mentioned once in a post a long long time ago, Jas musicals in London have one for
Diego

Reply with quote  #38 
Another note on unusual instruments: I once saw a kid with a metal dayan – unfortunately a beginner so really didn't get an idea of what the drum soudned like.
block

Reply with quote  #39 
"Pinky" on the jori:

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.