INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #1 
From New Kerala website:

Sunset of Indian music: artists on Bhimsen Joshi's death
New Delhi, Jan 24 : "The sun has set on Indian classical music", "an irreparable loss" were how noted singers and artists reacted to Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi's death Monday but said his music would live on to be celebrated by generations.

"Jab mein suna, laga ki subah subah surya ast ho gaya. Bharat ka sangeet ka suraj doob gaya hai (When I heard about his death, I felt that the sun has set in the morning...the sun has set on Indian classical music)," eminent Hindustani classical singer Pandit Jasraj said reacting to the demise of the 88-year-old legend.

"I would like to remember him as my brother, guru...as my everything," he added.

Joshi passed away in a Pune hospital at the age of 88 Monday following old age related ailments.

Blessings.

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh My.Rest In Peace Panditji.Youre singing in Bhagavan's direct presence now.You will always be present in our hearts.
Hari Om.Namaskar.

Reply with quote  #3 
An all time great has gone to God's mercy and left an irreparable void in the musical landscape of the earth. All I can say is that we were truly blessed to have been his contemporaries and to have lived whilst this incomparable song bird was serenading the world . Thank you Panditji, we shall remember you always.

Reply with quote  #4 
I owe my introduction to Indian Classical music to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi. Other musicians have come and and other musicians have gone, but he alone remains the standard.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #5 
If they are not available online I'll try and get some of the obituary tributes in the Indian paperes posted when I canm.

Having seen his son Srinivas perform at Saptak at Allahabad, and seen his disciples performing at DLMC over the last few days, I can only say he still lives on and his influence will endure.
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #6 
As a tribute to this great legend, here is Documentary on Pt. Bhimsen Joshi other than that produced by films division

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ona6sw39dxmkyv1
Raga_Mala

Reply with quote  #7 
Bhimsen-ji tugged at my heartstrings more strongly on more occasions than any other singer.

Beautiful words of rememberance from Pt. Jasraj as well.

RIP Pt. Bhimsen Joshi

The foolish critic follows where he's told."
-Kalidas, Malavikagnimitra I.i.2
Trans. Arthur Ryder
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.