INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jaysitar22

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everybody,

I remember someone posting that there was an English translation of Bhatkande's Hindustani Sangeet Paddhat, in the worksIs this still happening, are there any updates, and can I reserve a copy?

Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
I helped a bit with proofreading one of the volumes but haven't had any updates for a long time. All of Bhatkandes compositions were recorded and put on CD awhile ago but only available in India it seems.

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Dang, that would be great if that came to fruition. I need to learn how to read Hindi! Does the cd set come with notations?

I just finished copying a book of sitar notes for personal use, taking all the music material & some of the practical theory from Bandyopadhyaya's "Techniques of Sitar" (the format/ notations was pretty bad in the original), and then filling out each raag with his "Wisdom of Raga", "Adachautal on Sitar", and the gats/ raag info from "Ragas of Northern India" by Kaufman, just for good measure. Never again, that took forever. But it needs alot of editing, and comparing with actual raga performances, to make sure it is all correct, but for the most part it seems like the Bandyopadhyaya stuff is right on the mark. I don't know how legal it would be to distribute that book though. It would be useful if someone made a book of transcriptions of raag performances in a particular gharana. An all Nikhil Banerjee book, please!

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
The CD is in mp3's. Comes with a book with a track/raga listing and the beginning words so you can follow. The main text with full lyrics is in Hindi though.
The HSP by Bhatkande is finished, they're waiting on the publisher to get going which is a slow process apparently but it WILL get out eventually.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
I helped a bit with proofreading one of the volumes but haven't had any updates for a long time. All of Bhatkandes compositions were recorded and put on CD awhile ago but only available in India it seems.

Lars

Just for info. There was a Cassette version that I had got a couple of copies of, apparently some years before the age of CD's dawned.
You could try writing to them directly to know the present availability.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.