INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mrahul

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I need some advice on this. I will be accompanying someone for the first time. Its a bhajan and I will be playing the Bhajni theka. I noticed that in between 2 stanzas of a bhajan, the tablalji usually changes from bhajni theka to a Keharwa prakar (played at double speed). It sounds like this

Dhin - Dha Dhin - Dhi Naa ga
Dhin - Ta Tin - Ti Kaa ka (regular bhajni which changes to what sounds like...

Dha tin ta ta ta tin ta ta (at double speed in between the stanzas) followed by...

Dha - kda.N Dha Dha kda.N Dha Dha kda.N Dha (then back to Bhajni theka)
I am not able to figure out what these bols of the keharwa prakar transition portion are (i.e. Dha tin ta ta ta tin ta ta or something else?....).

Can someone advise me? Thanks in advance
LuissTabla

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mrahul"
Hi, I need some advice on this. I will be accompanying someone for the first time. Its a bhajan and I will be playing the Bhajni theka. I noticed that in between 2 stanzas of a bhajan, the tablalji usually changes from bhajni theka to a Keharwa prakar (played at double speed). It sounds like this

Dhin - Dha Dhin - Dhi Naa ga
Dhin - Ta Tin - Ti Kaa ka (regular bhajni which changes to what sounds like...

Dha tin ta ta ta tin ta ta (at double speed in between the stanzas) followed by...

Dha - kda.N Dha Dha kda.N Dha Dha kda.N Dha (then back to Bhajni theka)
I am not able to figure out what these bols of the keharwa prakar transition portion are (i.e. Dha tin ta ta ta tin ta ta or something else?....).

Can someone advise me? Thanks in advance
here's that laggi:

though here is:

(|Tu na na Tu | na na Tu na) x2

and then:

|Dha dhin dha dha |dha tun na na
plus tihai.

Any question just ask!

Hope this helps you!!!

Luis
mrahul

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you boss! That is very useful.
Jairaj Kamthan

Reply with quote  #4 
Mr Luis, the bols you wrote are of much help to me, a beginner.Can you please write the bols of Tihai also.Thank you very much. Jairaj
LuissTabla

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Jairaj
Mr Luis, the bols you wrote are of much help to me, a beginner.Can you please write the bols of Tihai also.Thank you very much. Jairaj
Here:

|Dha dhin|dha dha |dha tun| na na
|Dha ti |Tun tr| kt tk | tr kt
|Dhin na|tin na|tre kre|dhin -
|na tre |kre dhin| - na | tre kre

|Dhin - | na dhin ...

'tre' and 'kre' are flams, a bit faster then 'tere' (tre) and 'kete' (kre).

(please, don
Jairaj Kamthan

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you so much for such a prompt reply. I (65 yrs) would like to address people with respect, and especially person like you from whom I am seeking instructions.
Now, I don't know how to address you.
I know the baic bols and taals, but not disciplined in my practice.I play at home only when I get time.I have been struggling to find the bols of the beats (mainly Keherwa, Dadra & Rupak) the starting of a song (is it mukhda?), in the midddle or while ending the stanza ( don't know what is this called as) and while ending the song, which I understand is Tihai.The songs I try to play for are old hindi film songs or devotional songs in church.Any further help will be very much appreciated. Thank you once again.
rch

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Jairaj
Welcome to the 60 club !! I'm like you, started playing in the late teens, but because of the demands of my education and profession,could never really keep up with the practice. I have taken lessons from Gurus over the years both in India and in the Bay area here in a piecemeal fashion. But now that I'm semi-retired I have ample time to practice. I always believe it's better to be late than never!! Playing Tabla with Lehra really soothes my mind, normalizes my blood pressure. The members on the Chandrakantha forum , and Bhilaj's White India U-tube lessons have been invaluable assets to my practice.

Hi mrahul

One of professional tabla players who used to accompany Bhimsen Joshi's disciples in India had given me this laggi for Bhajan Teka about 20 yrs ago! I'm still practicing it!!

At the outset of the take off to the climactic line
TheTe Ta - TheTe ta- TheTe Ta- Dhin na Ge na ( 8 beat . 'The' with right 3,4,5 and Te with right Index, Ta on sur )
( Dha Dhin Dha Dha
Dha Dhin Dha Dha
Dha Tin Ta ta
Ta Dhin Dha Dha) X 2
Dha Dhin Dha Dha
Dha Tin Dha Dha
(Dha Tin Ta Ta ) x 4 ( louder and louder with each line, may also use chapki for Dha ( metallic sound on Kinar)
TrKt Tak TrKt Tak TrKt
Dhin-- Dha TheTe Dhin- Dha TheTe Din- Dha TheTe
Dhin- (this is a popular tihai with bhajans)

The laggi is played too fast for me. So, I use my middle finger for Dhin on the initial part or just play Ge instead.
good luck with your practice.
Jairaj Kamthan

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you so much Rch Rahul.I am very much encouraged by your reply and woulkd like to be more disciplined in my practice despite my age.The bols of Laggi are very helpful to understand.
I had the previlge of attending Pandit Bhimsen Joshi's programme in Pune in the mid seventies.Thanks once again.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.