INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Drew

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rex@sitar.co.za"
Sorry if this question has been asked a hundred times before, but...

"What's the best way to mic a sitar"?

Rex,
why dont you tell us what situation you will want to amplify your Sitar in. That would be much easier because as Neela pointed out.. there are different ways for different situations.

I myself use TwinSoundspot XL Transducers by Seymour Duncan... they do the job quite well and dont take away too much of the accoustic feel. However, you may also need a pre-amp so thats something extra to think about (unless you have a guitar amp to plug into etc).

http://www.d-tar.com/ac_sitar.shtmland

For the pre-amp (I highly suggest getting the one I use because it can sit right beside you and you have EQ/Volume etc at your fingertips which is needed)
I use - L.R. Baggs paracoustic DI

http://www.acousticmusicshop.com/lookupItemByCategoryID.do?element=9
(just scroll down, its 3rd from the bottom and has a pic)

If you think you only want to go the mic route. Keep in mind that even if you buy the best mic on the market... the sound will differ depending on what type of P/A system, speakers etc. you are using. If you have a $1000 mic and put it through a $50 p/a.. you will get a $50 sound. So what Im trying to say is that... your p/a, speaker system is just as important to your sound as the mic would be and if you want to buy all of this equipment it is going to cost $1000+.

If you plan on using it for a concert/live playing... I would go with the Transducer/Pre-amp combo because you can EQ your sound yourself without having to battle it out with a sound man. As well, you can adjust your volume for dynamics which is not an easy thing to do if your Sitar is mic'd as you only options are to play softer or move back from the mic. As well, if you are mic'd and there are other instruments around you... your sound may suffer or not even pick up at all. If its just you and a tabla player no worries.. but, if you have a full band with loud instruments it wont work very well unless you create some type of sound chamber for yourself.

If you plan recording.. than you can just go and rent the best mic from the music store if the recording studio doesnt have one for you (which they should).

hope this helps

Always have 1 eye open
sitarman

Reply with quote  #17 
Drew, as you may have read on my posts, I use an AKG transducer for a lot of live stuff. It gets as much volume as I need, and no feedback, but have you noticed how the chikari strings are way to loud compared to the playing string(s)? When I am doing jhalla they really overpower the main string. Also, if you strike the symps wiuth the mizrab (thonk jhalla?) it creates a very loud percussive sound as you hit the tabli. That has been bothering me lately, but until I find a mic that gives me less feedback problems for gertting some decent gain, I am sticking with tyhe AKG. I get to try everything where I work but it's still not 100% to my liking.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #18 
Drew,

It's mostly live playing that I've had in mind, but I just wanted to get a general idea of what others have been doing in different situations, so all this feedback is great.

I've been using a cheap condenser mic for live playing and was told other musicians that the sound was great... and from what I've heard though the monitors there seems to be much richness and depth than what I was getting with a top of the line dynamic mic (Shure 58). We've stuggled a little with feedback at times, but there's always a spot where everything is in balance, so it's not been too bad. And, what I've liked about the condenser mic is that I can keep it up to a foot away from the sitar and still get good volume... and the further away it is, the more depth the sound seems to have. I've always struggled getting enough volume from a dynamic mic, and there doesn't seem to the same sparkle in the sound.

The other issue I always battle with when playing live is monitoring.. but I think I'll start another thread on that

Thanks again, everyone!!

- Rex
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.