INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Alejandro Mascarell

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi there, 

I have been taking classes in Varanasi for two months and ended up really exhausted from staying in this city. I have been in India many times and nowadays I´d learning in quiter places surrounded by nature...

I am looking for this kind of place and a really good guru to continue my sitar studies...NOt in Kolkata or Varanasi...any suggestions?
desh

Reply with quote  #2 
If you're interested in learning the Etawah style of playing there are two accomplished performers  teaching in Goa.  Both of them have videos posted on youtube.

https://chandrakantha.com/teachers/teach_music_goa.html

Name: Vinayak Chittar
E-Mail: vchittar@yahoo.com
Field: Sitar
Address: Caranzalem, Panaji, Goa 403002
Telephone: +91 9821128317
Misc. Info:Vinayak Chittar is a virtuoso sitar player of the Etawah-Imdad Khani Gharana. He had his basic train­ing under the late P G Parab, a senior dis­ciple of Pandit Ravi Shankar. Vinayak then trained under Pandit Arvind Parikh senior dis­ciple of Ustad Vilayat Khan for over twenty years. An archi­tect by train­ing, Vinayak is an expert in sitar ergo­nomics, and this has enabled him to invent an energy efficient tech­nique for himself. Having exten­sively toured the US, UK, Europe, South Africa for his con­certs, Vinayak is an A-grade artist on All India Radio and regularly per­forms in con­certs all over India. He is passionate about teach­ing and con­ducts regular work­shops. He also teaches via Skype. He divides his time bet­ween Mumbai and Goa. Skype id: vinayakchittar

Name: Yograj
E-Mail: yograjnaik@yahoo.co.in
Field: Sitar
Address: Panaji, Goa, India
Telephone: Mobile - +91-9422446963
Misc. Info: Playing sitar in Etawa style. Masters in Music by ABGVM India, sangeet kushal diploma. "A" grade artiste of all India Radio Student of sitar maestro Uastad Shahid parvez. kindly type yograj sitar on youtube and you can watch clips of some live per­formances

Alejandro Mascarell

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Desh,

thank you so much for this very useful information, I will definitely take it in consideration...Didn´t even know about this style. Indian musico is just such a vast universe...

Thanks again and bes redards from Spain
Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #4 

The etewa gairana is probably larger than the maihar (ravi shankars ).  You will have heard many of its proponents.  Vilayat Khan being its most distinguished.  Between them they have pretty much stitched up the game and defined the two main types of sitar design.

Vinayak Chittar sounds like an interesting teacher  Has anyone here studied under him and used his methods which refer to "systematic templates"?  (Probably the first one consists of yaman slow medium and fast gats with a range of progressive taans....that is after all a "template". but still there may be something really original in its approach there).

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.