INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
raanan

Reply with quote  #1 
hi, anyone have any recommendations for the best online seller of pudhis for tabla?

with either creditcard/paypal/banktransfer/postal cheque or order ?

i know about jas-musicals.com and haribhau though can anyone recommend these further?

its irritating buying pudhis online i'm never sure.

thanks
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #2 
I've had good luck from Keshav, AACM, and Upendraji(sohummusical on forum).
All of them offer great service and good skins.

Protest Warrior sign.
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the recommendation. While we ship all over the world - for certain items - going to certain countries - I suggest - with no hesitation - contacting DMS - and going on reports from other forum-wallahs, Sohum. We do all our shipping via Fedex the cost of which - would be horrendous to Israel as compared with the cost of the actual pudi itself. Inni or Updendra can provide a single pudi at a much more economical rate. We - BTW - are looking forward soon (as soon as the order is completed) - to receiving our first order of pudis from Updendra at Sohum We thought it would be a great addition to our stock of pudis from Jaipur, Banares and Calcutta. Now we will have pukka Bombay pudis in stock as well.
Cheers,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
raanan

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Keshav, I will consider buying from you.

Though, the dayan I wish to rehead is a varanassi made maharashtra style lakadi, I'm sure all fitting skins will work though I'm obsessed about the sound so does anyone know where I can get Varanassi style pudhis?

I have the feeling that the sound I am looking for with the drum will only succeed with varanassi pudhis.

Varanassi, Farukhabad, Jaipur pudhis.... are they similar then?

It would be nice if I could take a backpack and buy pudhis all over India though that remains impossible at the moment.

thanks.
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi - as I said - I do carry Varanasi (Banares) style pudis. As much as I like the idea of making money from you - I would recommend that you buy them direct from Inni Singh at DMS as it will be much more affordable - given that you are in Israel. We're committed to putting the best stuff in the hands of musicians at as much as possible - affordable prices. If you were looking to buy multiple pieces it might make sense for you to buy direct through us.
..... In any event, Inni's Banares pudis are as good as it gets. I've re-headed tablas here for Bhangra Dhol Guru, Dave Sharma a long-time student of Alla Rakka + Zakir and one of NY's busiest studio players, as well as for Karsh Kale who's played with almost everybody worth playing with - including Zakir Hussein and both guys are super super fussy and both totally loved the way their tablas sounded with our Banares Pudis. The have a nice thick, hand-laid shyahi with lots of sustain. But please do feel free to buy them from Inni as my charge for Fedexing to Israel would be quite high. Farukabad is a gharana - but not a style of pudi. Folks from that gharana seem to favor Bombay style pudis - but not exclusively.
.......Oh, and Jaipur pudis are just our sasta (cheap) pudis. They look like a typical Delhi pudi but are bleached very white and have overly perfect looking shyahis - which is a good indication of mass production. They look pretty - but are just generally "okay".
Best,
Keshav (Which - I am told - in Hebrew, means "Listening.")

The Prophet Mohammed

raanan

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Keshav :]

Yes, Kshiv in Hebrew is a 2nd person adjective for 'listen' actually its Takshiv, which is almost a Bhol.

Thank you for explaining.

The reason im personally so concerned/obsessed about the pudhi is that I bought this drum 2nd hand at a drum store in amsterdam 5 years ago I traded my student dayan in for a discount and bought the dayan very cheapely, I bought it as fanatically as I'm looking for the pudhis because when I struck it the first time in the drum shop all the Snare drums on the shelves where it was stored rattled with the Tun stroke :] and the pudhi I had with me for the last 5 years and this pudhi went through so much punishment!(this drum has a soul of its own and i'm determined to do it justice)

The sticker on the drum said 'iqbal bhai varanasi' so, we're talking about Banares pudhis? fair enough, I dont know :]

I'm looking for the deep resonance and sustain of the pudhi that was on the drum, all other pudhis I've seen were too thin.

I'll hold thumbs until I get the right pudhi.

Do you have a weblink or contact details for mr Singh at DMS?
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #7 
You can contact him at http://www.indianmusicalinstruments.com/
If there's any problem with getting a pudi via DMS - I will do my best
to get one to you though our shop.
Cheers,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.