INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Gora

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

My name is Tom, I live in Canberra, ACT, Australia, and I am desperate to find a Sitar teacher for Hindustani classical. I would really like to find one I can get face to face lessons with, but Canberra isn't a big enough place and I can't find a teacher.

So, failing anyone knowing of a teacher in the ACT, what are recommendations for good online Sitar teachers? I have done about a year of Indian classical singing in the past, and am fairly competent in Western music theory. I also speak fair Hindi, but really need a teacher who teaches in English. I'd really like to find one who is fairly modern in their approach too.

So yeah...any suggestions?
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
I imagine there are a number of excellent options but the first step I would do to narrow things down is sort out what style of sitar you are pursuing. Is your sitar kharaj pancham (Ravi Shankar style) or gandhar pancham (Vilayat Khan style) and even disregarding what your current instrument is (they can usually be modified as needed), are you seeking to learn in more the Maihar gharana style, or the Etawah gharana style? This will be an important factor in selecting a teacher.
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #3 
Chris Hale is the most patient, dedicated, skillful, well-trained sitar teacher you could hope for. While it is true that any number of sitar teachers can be described in this way, my lessons with Chris went way beyond my expectations and I recommend him to anyone wanting to get started or to get better.

http://christopherhalesitar.com

Cheers,
Allen

Reply with quote  #4 
Lots of options out there for you if you have a good connection. Some of the professional players teach also like Shahid Parvez, etc. I'd recommend Indrajit Banerjee, especially since you're already a musician. His English is good also, he has a few students here on this forum too. His email is indrajitcalcutta@gmail.com Ali Akbar college is doing some online teaching as well.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Have you seen the instructional DVDs offered by Rain City Music? IMHO they are excellent.
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Tom, I hope your quest to find the best online teacher is bearing fruit! My teacher of 2 years is the exceptionally wonderful and talented Brigitte Menon, a phenomenal teacher of the Imdadkhani style. She has also just released a DVD which is fantastic. She has given me 110% back in effort that I put in, and her playing to my ears is divine. What kind of sitar are you playing, who are your favorite sitarists to listen to?
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #7 
ALL good suggestions

Especially getting started with Rain City vids.
That being said.
If you are interrested get ahold of my friend & teacher Gaurav Mazumdar...
http://gauravmazumdar.com/index.htm

He is an excellent player - composer - teacher - and a great chap to boot.
He of course is a disciple of Pandit Ravi Shankar, and teaches both classical hindustani raga & theory as well as crossover pieces.
He conducts an orchestra in England - does east west collaborations (as well as north south jugalbandi) - check out this piece with Daniel Hope & Vishal Nagar.

While in the US he skypes lessons to England - India - Germany - as well as students here in the Chicagoland region when he is out of town.
I personally don't skype (old dude) but MANY of my fellow students here just rave about how well it works....
Per your requirements - speaks very clear english - tailors each & every students training regimine to where they want to go with this wonderful instrument - again steeped in the classical traditions (his family tradition was in violin - which he mastered BEFORE he fell in love with sitar).
AND as I said one of the kindest & most patient people I have ever met.
Pricing - availability - etc I do not have a clue - That's between Gaurav & his students.
If you wish to speak to him send me PM & I will give you his personal eMail - will help speed things up.
Good luck in your musical journey.

Brian 8)

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help! I am playing a Radha Krishna Sharma kharaj pancham (although as a student model I think it might be a couple of tarb strings short). My favourite Sitar player is Nikhil Banerjee; I really like the meditative feel he has. As it stands though I am pretty open. Mostly I'd really like a patient and friendly teacher, I never plan on becoming a professional player, but I do want to play Sitar with confidence and skill.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #9 
WELL THEN THERE IT IS

My teacher is Maihar Gharana - Nikhilda's Gharana -
Gaurav has that lyrical quality you are looking for. Check his vids - recordings - ETC - (his Shindi Bhairavi is especially moving). His collaborations with the Lalghudi Jayram family of carnatic musicians as well as numerous artist on veena have been just magical.
And as I indicated is one of the most patient and calm people I have ever met.
Gauravbhai has been comming to Chicago for the last five years to fill the void left by my dearest friend Patric Mark's passing. (Indore Gharana).
I had worked with Patric for over 30 years so it was quite a transition for not only myself but with many of Patric's students - some of whom had continuous lessons for over 20 years.
Gaurav has been just wonderful - patient and most understanding durring what was a difficult transition.
I could not give a higher recommendation - Gaurav has become a part of our family.

Brian 8)

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.