INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Poll Results

Which material sounds best for the bridge?
 Metal 0 0%
 Bone 5 50%
 Synthetic 0 0%
 Deer Horn 1 10%
 Other? 4 40%
Total votes: 10   Please or sign up to vote.

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Lily

Reply with quote  #16 
Element, are there some jawari 'shapes' that wear better? is there a way to do jawari that the strings dont cut in as quickly? is open or closed easier to maintain?
Lily
element-82

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi,
my opinion, I am no expert, but...

I think, depending on the material, that different shapes will wear better, and maybe even be easier to fix when the time comes. The problem is the place where the jawari wears. With the traditional shape, if it wears at the back or the front, it will be harder to fix because you have to take off so much to get it all fixed, especially if you want open jawari, you don't want as radical a curve.

With synthetic jawari, I would make them wider slightly and shaped so that the strain is spread out more . It lasts a lot longer. I made a corian bridge this way and my friend thrashed on it for almost a year and it didn't need any touch ups.

I find open easier to maintain with traditional shapes. A proper closed shape takes a little getting used to. Others will have an opinion on this, but my first sitar was badly closed and sounded bad too. It took me a while to figure out how to open it up, but since then it was really easy once the shape was done properly.

For closed jawari, I prefer the "wedge shaped" jawari because it is really easy to fix. Because the front is much thicker and higher, it wears there. The surface is very flat and easy to touch up with a sanding sponge. This is the shape, I have posted it before:
http://www.sitarplayer.ca/img/goth_sitar_ebony_jawari.jpg
I think this will get popular soon.

The key to maintaining the jawari is lots of small touch ups, not big over hauls. Leaving the sitar tuned up all the time, like I do, can leave marks, so put a thin plastic card between it and the strings when not playing. If you do this, jawari is really easy to maintain. You just touch it up every month or so, depending on your riyaz schedule.

Pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lily"
Element, are there some jawari 'shapes' that wear better? is there a way to do jawari that the strings dont cut in as quickly? is open or closed easier to maintain?
Lily
[/url]

povster

Reply with quote  #18 
I did not participate in the poll as I have only had experience with bone and synthetic. I have to say the synthetic bridge on my new hiren #1 really satisfies me. It has a very warm, sweet tone. How it would sound with ebony or bone I don;t know. But I love the tone as it is now.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.