INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Tablatastic

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has had experiences reaheading a tabla with a Benares pudi. I have been told that you cannot play on it straight away and have to wait for a week or so until the pudi sets properly on the kinar. I have also heard that it needs to be done in stages where you would pull the tasma on one day then do another pull the next day as the pudis tend to drop in scale easily.

I am not sure if this is correct but if anyone has had any experience with Benares style pudis then your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
Tirakitataka

Reply with quote  #2 
Benaras, Mumbai or Calcutta... The pudies are same and requires same care, attention and technique to put on the shell. The only difference would be the thickness of the pudi but that can be individual also. Normally Benaras and Calcutta pudies are thinner than Bombay pudies but that does not mean all Bombay pudies are thick. It really depends upon tabla maker.

When you install a new pudi and if it is stretched properly you can start playing straight away. You will notice that it sounds better in couple of days as it settles down but that does not prevent you from playing (as long you are playing with your fingers only )

After the installation, it is common that it looses a pitch. That is due to Gajara being stretched and if you are using new straps, this will be more obvious. I would initially stretch the pudi to a scale higher than it is tuned (along with gatta on single strap) so that in couple of days, it comes back to the desired pitch and if required I take one more strap over the gatta. This way you won't have to re-stretch for at least a year.

Hope this helps and all the best.
Tablatastic

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey thanks for your reply.

Yes it will help. I have come to the stage where I have now laced the tabla so fingers crossed as will have to get the pulling done soon.

Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.