INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Sitar Buddies!
Some of you may remember me, as I was pretty active in posting back around 3- 4 years ago. A wonderful marriage, some success in my local rock band (Zeppelin tribute if you care...) and a new website at work got the better of me- not that I ever stopped listening and loving Indian classical music. However, finding the time to keep at least in shape on my beloved MPS and HR sitars got a bit difficult. But I'm back, getting the callouses hard again and realizing just how amazing those great players are on this most demanding of instruments. OK- enough of the nostalgia (but it is wonderful to read your posts and I even remember many of you!)..

I have a burning question, which probably has been asked before but here goes-
Sitar"action" is extremely high compared to other fretted instruments,and I understand the physics of why this is necessary. However, I'm curious if anyone has experimented with a much lower action which would still allow for clear meends and playing. In the guitar tech world, we strive to have the lowest action and easiest playing feel within personal taste. At what point does the technique of sitar playing suffer if the strings are too close to the frets? What is the absolute minimum height that will allow full expression of playing but be "easier'? Surely some have tried.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome back !

I got away with a 6mm. clearance but the reduced string tension getting to the frets resulted in whacked fret positions. To get back in left field, the bridge had to go forward more than 1". No good ! 10mm. is still ideal by most players.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Hi Sitar Buddies!
Some of you may remember me, as I was pretty active in posting back around 3- 4 years ago.
Hey sitarman! Nice to see you back. I remember you well and smiled when I saw your name. Stick to what Tony says here. As usual, he is on the money. I have also experimented with lower actions over the years but the usual clearance really is best.

Is something rubbing your rhubarb about the higher clearance than guitar?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.