INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Neogeotoo

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a question on a previous post. The poster wrote:
Quote:
A complete beat has a down stroke and a upstroke. So, for example: DhaNa | represents dha played on down and Na played on up. Dha(s)| Dha plyed on down and noting played on up. (s)Dha| Nothing played on down and Dha played on up.

How does this work with regard to 6 notes over 4 beats?
Say....in Dhati Dha Dha Thete? I'm a beginner and thought I was doing ok with teental composed of single or double speed. The 11/2 speed is something I'm grappling with. Thanks. I apologize if the question is not clear, it's the best I can articulate it.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, the response there was specific to the context of the question asked and the composition.

Your query is however valid.

Are you asking about (Tishra Jati) triplets? 123 | 123 | 123 | 123 or a triplet kaida in teentaal? Are you asking for an example of a kaida that is in Tishra jati and how to write it in 4 bars or are you just looking for a triplet pattern in general?

I find this http://neilhawes.com/sstheory/theory10.htm to be very helpful and find my self constantly coming back to this.
Neogeotoo

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the link. I'm fairly new and still getting a feel for the subject. My question is that when one is counting out the notes...in this case it is 6 notes over 4 beats in one line of teental (dhati dha dha thete)....does each note have a corresponding upbeat and downbeat?
My problem is playing this with a nagma or metronome. It always comes out ahead or behind the beat If I'm trying to play these six notes across four beats. It's easy for me if I have 4 notes with 4 corresponding beats with the nagma or metronome.

I apologize if I'm not able to describe my question more accurately.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.