INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all!
There's a screw screwed into the bottom of my bayan and I was curious what purpose this serves. I wasn't sure if this was common with most bayans, or if maybe mine is just abnormal. It's not a great bayan, anyway...Thanks for any help!
Acelga

Reply with quote  #2 
Never saw something like that, but maybe the purpose is to cover some accidental hole.
If the bayan shell had a hole, then the sound would be very poor. Can you post a pic?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Could it possibly be attached to a weight inside? Does the bayan feel a bit bottom heavy?

It would make a cheapie seem a bit more better quality?!!?!?

Nick
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Could it possibly be attached to a weight inside? Does the bayan feel a bit bottom heavy?

It would make a cheapie seem a bit more better quality?!!?!?

Nick
That was sort of my initial assumption. But overall, it doesn't feel that heavy to begin with, and I can't really say for sure that it is bottom heavy. I'm quite sure it's a cheapie, which to me seems bizarre. My dayan is quite nice and my guru told me that it's a pretty decent dayan. However, I bought the pair together several years ago and just recently started playing them.

I wish I could post a picture but my camera is in storage at the moment... Oddly enough, the screw is directly in the center of the bottom of my bayan, so I doubt it was to cover up a blemish. I'm going to assume that it's holding a weight. Perhaps I'll venture to remove the screw someday to see what it's doing there. Thanks for the suggestions!
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #5 

Perhaps I'll venture to remove the screw someday to see what it's doing there. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hmmm....if it is holding a weight and u unscrew it then it may be really hard or impossible to get it back in so be careful when you do so

That is really odd and interesting

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #6 
Ok, here's a picture. I forgot I have a smartphone...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WjkB_SChHlc/TjNwiGO-NeI/AAAAAAAAACs/4LAtdlUMMt4/s640/072911210817.jpg
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
Certainly looks like it's holding something in there! You may not know until you take the skin off.
As s1owpoke says, maybe better to wait until then.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.