INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
vilambit

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Have you or any one you know has used a "Bayan" constructed using rope instead of "Tasma" ? If so, could you please share the experience as in if there is any sound quality difference because of rope alone (say assuming the rest of the ingrediants are exactly same) ? I have myself not seen one personally but for on the YouTube and for some reason the "Bayans" made using rope somehow sounded with more deep and rich sound quality to me, may be the other ingrediants were differnt too .... ???

Regards.

Vilambit.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
Personal experience, no major difference. Easy to adjust tension if you have the metal rings. Generally, slightly lower in tone. Looks nicer or more authentic. Rope thickness and material matters in looks as well as installation.
7Fives

Reply with quote  #3 
The use of rope on the baya is seen in Benares. One reason the sound is deeper is that Benares uses low pitch baya which is often larger and shaped differently than the baya of other gharanas. Also, more thought is given to the tuning and tension of the puri to allow sustain instead of simply producing a dull thud. Rope allows the use of tuning rings which is a little faster to use than changing wooden blocks. Finally, the rope itself may allow the shell to vibrate more freely than leather strap which lays flat against the pot. This is just speculation on my part. Either material has to tension the puri the same way. Why don't you install rope on your drum and report back whether the sound is different?

7Fives
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.