INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cb1

Reply with quote  #1 
It's been a long time but I'm starting up practice again. I'm 45 and the foot under the base of the sitar isn't gonna work for me any more. Has anyone made any kind of base to put under the sitar to keep it from sliding? That way I can sit cross legged and my butt and legs won't kill me. :x Any ideas would be appreciated.
JRJ

Reply with quote  #2 
The easy solution for this is to get a tabla ring and use that just sitting cross legged. I suffer from similar issues and am 54 but have been able to sit through the resistance.
One excersize that I do is to straighten my legs out holding them six to twelve inches above the floor with my arms extended holding the sitar;
kind of like the yoga pose (boat pose "Navasana") legs a little lower with the sitar crossing over the body: http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/boat.htm

So you sit and play for a while then do the boat; back and forth as another aspect of the practice. I believe that if there is no damage to the joints
and that that you do not over stretch the ligaments then the comfort zone will expand.

I also use a piano type bench sometimes to support the tumba, so classical guitar style. I think this is a good solution if you are not concerned with
emulating the classical style or there is just a too much pain and a no gain reality that needs to be faced. I am able to 'sit through my own resistance' but sometimes getting back out of the pose is more difficult than staying there;-)...

I dream about a stand that could suspend the sitar in space so that it would be easy to switch instruments sitting in a chair.

jRj
Kirya

Reply with quote  #3 
Have you considered just sitting on a firm couch and playing?

I do it sometimes when I don't feel like sitting on the floor. It requires no props, no special equipment and you can see an example of this here:

Richard plays many Nikhil Banerjee bandishes and many times does this while sitting on a couch.

I would also recommend just sitting on the floor cross-legged and watching TV or listening to music so that you get used to having those bones and leg configurations more comfortable. And if you are really motivated, start doing some yoga poses that involve hip, leg, hamstring stretches -- it is worth doing this as it will very likely help your overall mobility in life.

AllenDS

Reply with quote  #4 
This conversation reminds me of an almost-off-topic description of my most common playing position. Because I record music while sitting in a chair next to my keyboard & mouse, I am very comfortable with the sitar on my lap with my left hand reaching way up in the air. In those rare occasion when I play in pubs and restaurants, I just sit in a chair where everyone can see me.

Anyway..... good luck with your ergonomics!

-Allen

Reply with quote  #5 
Have a look at this ... (chrisitar posted this in the dhrupad forum) ... two rudra vinas with the giant tombas resting in some sort of ... something or other!

pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirya"
Have you considered just sitting on a firm couch and playing?
Ustad Shujaat Khan confortably playing sitar on a nice couch ...

pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.