INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Neal

Reply with quote  #1 

I have a seven year old Barun Ray Kalka (Kharaj Pancham) sitar for sale. The sitar was originally purchased through the Ali Akbar College of Music in Berkeley, CA. It’s a beautiful instrument, perfect condition - fiberglass case for the sitar, fiberglass case for the upper tumba. Two bridges. one of which was just made by Lars Jacobsen (Rain City Music) and he has the mold for future bridges. Jawari is perfect. A very nice concert ready instrument with a warm, full sound and clarity of tone. I had purchased the instrument for my niece from a student of Ustad Ikhlaq Hussain Khan but she has not been playing it and I’d rather find it in the hands of an individual that will appreciate it. Price is firm at 2700.00. Prefer a local pickup. IMG_3458.jpg  IMG_3456.jpg  IMG_3454.jpg  IMG_3451.jpg  IMG_3448.jpg  IMG_3447.jpg  IMG_3446.jpg  IMG_3445.jpg  IMG_3444.jpg  IMG_3459.jpg  IMG_3449.jpg  IMG_3450.jpg  IMG_3457.jpg 

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice one! I also have a Barun Roy sitar. They are fine instruments. Price is a bit hefty for a used one though.
Neal

Reply with quote  #3 
It was purchased for $2600.00 from Ali Akbar College of Music. The price is reflective of the instruments tone. It takes a few years to break these Instruments in as the tabli is a bit thicker. Kalka's are now selling for $3500.00 at Ali Akbar College. (I know because I bought one about a year and a half ago.)
JRJ

Reply with quote  #4 
A very beautiful instrument to my eyes. I am curious if you are local to the Bay Area?
Thanks.
jRj

Neal

Reply with quote  #5 
I’m in Boston, Massachusetts.
Neal

Reply with quote  #6 
I thought I had a buyer, but it fell through - so the Kalka is still available.
Lars

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
Very nice one! I also have a Barun Roy sitar. They are fine instruments. Price is a bit hefty for a used one though.

A used one up to 2014 is worth as much or more than a new one.

Lars

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

A used one up to 2014 is worth as much or more than a new one.

Lars

Why is that? Are the ones before 2014 much better? Think mine is ten years old.

Still love it. One of the best sitars I have owned.

On this site they go for 2200 euro (cheaper for non EU) which is a lot less than AACM if I understand correctly? https://www.india-instruments.de/sitar-details/hiren-roy-full-deco-deluxe-sitar.html

Btw what does Kalka mean?
katyrow

Reply with quote  #9 
Kalka refers to the pine cone style carving.  
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
On this site they go for 2200 euro (cheaper for non EU) which is a lot less than AACM if I understand correctly? https://www.india-instruments.de/sitar-details/hiren-roy-full-deco-deluxe-sitar.html

Barend [wave], that is an Angurpatta model. While both Kalka and Angurpatta can be considered #1s, the Kalka is a cut above the Angurpatta. 

barend

Reply with quote  #11 
Ok thanks. Didn't know that. So the only difference is the carvings?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.