INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ragamala

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm sure some of you have been way - years - ahead of me in picking this up, but my attention was drawn to this after I found when sorting out my computer files the incredibly charming picture of NB and BKP which I have offered below. I don't know now where I found this, so apologies to the originator for not giving credit.

Barun Pal wasn't a name really known to me, and I must admit I have not admired slide guitar in the hands of others, even if renamed and enhanced and coming by the name of eg Mohan veena.

But in this case I have to say having now heard the album
Ragas On Hansa Veena BIS 227

I am totally enthralled.

This instrument sounds fantastic, and Barun Pal's touch is so wonderful I am totally smitten.

See
http://www.barunpalhansaveena.net/html/hansaveena.html

Which includes a great slideshow of this rather good-looking and seemingly very well-made Indianisation - a complete redesign of the slide guitar as I knew it before.

http://www.trulliland.co.uk/private/BKPNB2.jpg
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi again R
Are you sure it's Nikhl Banerjee on the left?
Is this ANOTHER side of the master we don't often see, re the slide guitar?

Nick
ragamala

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Hi again R
Are you sure it's Nikhl Banerjee on the left?
Is this ANOTHER side of the master we don't often see, re the slide guitar?

Nick
I never gave it a doubt - as I say I found the pic whilst sorting out (after six months) my downloads. Not the face, but the expression on it says this Nikhilda all over.

I've now done a bit of research -
I had it from a friend but the original file was entitled "Barun Kumar Pal with Nikhil Banerjee.jpg"

and it came from
http://www.barunpalhansaveena.net/html/photos.html
ie Barun Pal's own site

Photo is entitled there
"Learning with Late Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, at 6 years of age".

Further research indicates Rikhi Ram make these "new" - ie invented about 10 years ago - Hansa veenas, amongst other manufacturers.

I swore years ago I would never buy another Indian instrument. Hell, I can't even play the ones I have - except tanpura - I reckon I can manage that adequately 8)

But I am severely tempted to order one of these beauties for picking up on my trip to Delhi at the end of this year. (Ignore my rants in the forums earlier about instrument fixation, I've been there and was in denial, but this one really has taken a grip on me).

I think there's a lot about Nikhil's talent we still are not aware of, he wasn't the sort to blow his own trumpet. But I just love that picture, it puts the lie to any idea he was never inclined to encourage others to learn. As I think I said recently, it is such a pity he never lived long enough to enter a phase dedicated to teaching, the ICM world lost a lot more than just a player. He would have been a wonderful teacher.

Alan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.