INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Bapu Patwardhan Tabla Solo- "DhaTiRa KitaTiRa KiTaTaKa" Rela

Quote:
Uploaded on Aug 24, 2011
Pt. Bapu Patwardhan is a Gandabandh Shaagird (official and legal disciple) of Ustad Ahmedjan Thirakwa.
In this clip Bapuji presents a rela with phrase "Dha TiRa KiTa TiRa KiTa TaKa". This is a slightly different version common played rela using phrase "DhaTiRa KiTaTaKa TiRaKiTa".
I've never seen this way of playing this rela before: a doubtle TRKT and then TaKa ...

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
evening84

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks Pascal for sharing - this is worth its weight in gold. It solves a long-standing puzzle that I had in my mind listening to some Thirakwa recordings.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "evening84"
Thanks Pascal for sharing - this is worth its weight in gold. It solves a long-standing puzzle that I had in my mind listening to some Thirakwa recordings.
I'm curious now as to what that puzzle was that this solves.

I've been practicing the double TRKT for several months now and only now am beginning to get "comfortable" with it only in the sense that it doesn't feel like my fingers are going to fall off my hands any more!

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
evening84

Reply with quote  #4 
The two phrases : Dha-TrktTkTrkt and Dha--TrktTrkt have a completely different feel especially when played in the context of a Rav (where the Dha is the driver and the rest are fillers). I had always thought that it is the first phrase that is being played but was never 100% convinced in some cases. The double-tirakits present another option.
RahulP

Reply with quote  #5 
Hopefully you guys are still on
this blog. I’m the one who posted the YouTube video.
According to Bapu Kaka, the above Rela was played by an Ustad Shalari Khan.
You’re right in that it’s a different “Rav” or subtle intonation of the common Rela we hear played today. The accent points are definitely different with consecutive TirKit strokes
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.