INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jignesh142

Reply with quote  #1 
How one can increase the blowing strength and stamina in bansuri?
pritlee

Reply with quote  #2 
practice is the only way i am afraid..... just need to make sure you develope correct sounds.....sometime learning on your own makes you unsure if the sound you are making is right pitch....(e.g. in my case some of my not will be high some low some just right.....so you need to make sure all the notes are the same level then you can practice playing higer and lower notes...does it make sense?)
p
pumpik

Reply with quote  #3 
You should be able to hold a rock steady Sa for at least 15 to 20 seconds at various volume levels, without tapering off at the end and beginning.
jignesh142

Reply with quote  #4 
well i can hold upto 30 sec without interuption but that is not related to strength
My intention is to develop strength so that i can get clear notes with high volume.
this is also necessary to produce half notes without any hissing sound.
pumpik

Reply with quote  #5 
Your question is still unclear. What do you define as strength, and what do you mean by stamina? More precisely, what are you lacking that you would like to improve upon?

Practicing the fast jhala blowing technique of tu-ku-tu-ku for extended periods of time, without any loss of clarity will also improve stamina.
jignesh142

Reply with quote  #6 
well i want to develop the half notes with clear sound
pumpik

Reply with quote  #7 
jignesh

I can't claim to be a very good bansuri player, but two things:

1. You need a well tuned bansuri, with good sustain and volume.
2. No short-cut - practice is the only solution. The best way to achieve this is relentless practice of a simple palta - SrrS, rggr, gmmg, mPPm, PddP, dnnd, nSSn........Very slowly, making sure each and every sur is clear and consistent. Make sure you have the iTablaPro application with you as it helps to get a feel for the exact sur. Do not increase speed under any circumstances. This practice will take not less than 4 - 5 months at the rate of about 3 hours every day. You may make variations of the palta, but only after you have achieved the first palta correctly. You will know when you get it right.

Hope this helps.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.