INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
sikhman

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I learned this from student who learned from Banaras. I'm not sure if it is paran as I learned it long time back. Please correct me if you find any mistake.


Dhet Dhet tirkit dhet
Dhaage tete, taage tete, kridhaa tete, dha ge tete

Gadhi gan, naage tete

Kridha tete, kridha tete, dha dha

Kridha tete, Kridha tere, dha dha

Kridha tete, Kridha tete - - - - -
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm not an expert in Banaras baj but here what I guess it would look like with a minimum amount of formatting.


Dhet Dhet tirkit dhet /
Dhaage tete taage tete /
kridhaa tete dha ge tete /
Gadhi gan naage tete /

(Kridha tete kridha tete /
dha dha) Kridha tete /
Kridha tete dha dha /
Kridha tete Kridha tete /
Dha...

A.

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
sikhman

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #3 
Correct! Thanks for your help.
0
fuenme

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sikhman"
Correct! Thanks for your help.
One more: Palta:

Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge na ge tin na kat ta
Ta ke ke ke / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke tetee / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke ke ke / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke tetee / Ta ke Tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge na ge dhin na kat ta

I hope you like it en don't worry it is banares.

Dave

__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/tablafreak/home
http://tabla.forumotion.net/forum.htm
http://tablafreak.blogspot.com
0
Shivadhyanam

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 157
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fuenme"
One more: Palta:

Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge na ge tin na kat ta
Ta ke ke ke / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke tetee / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke ke ke / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke tetee / Ta ke Tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge na ge dhin na kat ta

I hope you like it en don't worry it is banares.

Dave
One more palta to what??????
Is this supposed to be another paran or what? Explain!!
0
fuenme

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Shivadhyanam"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fuenme"
One more: Palta:

Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge na ge tin na kat ta
Ta ke ke ke / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke tetee / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke ke ke / Ta ke tetee
Ta ke tetee / Ta ke Tetee
Dha ge ge ge / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge tetee / Dha ge tetee
Dha ge na ge dhin na kat ta

I hope you like it en don't worry it is banares.

Dave
One more palta to what??????
Is this supposed to be another paran or what? Explain!!
I was joking. Just forget it man. I think the idea of a forum is clear to every and give me one good reason why I should explain to as you as you are not able to use your brain. O shit I forgot you can't give a good reason cuz your brain is asleep.

Joking :-)
dave

__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/tablafreak/home
http://tabla.forumotion.net/forum.htm
http://tablafreak.blogspot.com
0
Shivadhyanam

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 157
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fuenme"

I was joking. Just forget it man. I think the idea of a forum is clear to every and give me one good reason why I should explain to as you as you are not able to use your brain. O shit I forgot you can't give a good reason cuz your brain is asleep.

Joking :-)
dave
hmmm...I fail to see your point or sence of humour. Be honest, how would I know that you were joking? And what kind of a joke is that anyway? It doesn't read, look or sound funny to me!! After all, I guess I am the one who has been posting some confusing stuff here recently!!!

I think you should be more careful b4 posting such jokes (at least when people are asking about compositions etc. for all means keep posting but if u are not sure better to ask. The subject of tabla is too complex and last thing we want and need is for someone to make it more confusing). If a beginner sees your post (knowing that palta means variation) he/she might start thinking that we can derive variations from fixed compositions (paran in this case) regardless. But then you might say that after some hard practice (you became a joker) and felt like posting a palta that has nothing to do with the above paran/tukra. If that was the case why not create a new topic for your new found palta with title of "The joking palta"?

take it easy son!
0
fuenme

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #8 
Hello grandpa Shivadhyanam

Thanx grandpa. I think the brain is not awake yet.

The was not a joke and if you see it like a joke it because your eyes are sleepy as well. There is no joke in my palta's but because you can't see the point in it and the idea behind it I did not see the reason to explain it to you.

You are also wrong when you say that the subject of table is too complex. It maybe complex to you but not to smart guys. Table is a matter of practice. Even if you ask the geneous to play tabla without practicing it he would play like a stupid deff child. It is all just continouslly practising it.

Please don't try to define complex to me. I know what it means :-)

No hard feelings as long as you mind your own bussiness!

Dave

__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/tablafreak/home
http://tabla.forumotion.net/forum.htm
http://tablafreak.blogspot.com
0
scodoha

Registered:
Posts: 302
Reply with quote  #9 
To all those who undertand what complex means: :wink:

Dhet Dhet tirkit dhet /
Dhaage tete taage tete /
kridhaa tete dha ge tete /
Gadhi gan naage tete /

(Kridha tete kridha tete /
dha dha) Kridha tete /
Kridha tete dha dha /
Kridha tete Kridha tete /
Dha...

I don't see this as really a strict tihai, two dhas... .
If the last tete in the first group is made (- Dha) :
...Gadhi gan naage - Dha...
then its a 5 beat phrase (dhaKri dhate teKri dhate tedha)
which crosses matras. Anyone have any information on these types of irregular tihais?
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #10 
(Kridha tete kridha tete /
dha dha) Kridha tete /
Kridha tete dha dha /
Kridha tete Kridha tete /
Dha...

Scodoha's right, (sorry I missed it) I don't think this is a tihai, "irregular" or otherwise - can a tihai conclude with any 'dha' in the anticipated triplet - again, I don't think so.

A.

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
taal

Registered:
Posts: 140
Reply with quote  #11 
In my opinion, subject composition is tihai. Basically a tihai may end in dhadha or DhaTete....it need not necessarily end only in dha. I have seen numerous examples like this.

Basically any bol after dha is considered as "bharana" which literally means a filler piece. As such, it has significance only of filling in the space, it is added either to avoid long gaps, or to make the composition sound more beautiful. Hence there is no loss or breach of any law, if repitition of bharana doesn't take place in third cycle. Th important thing is to have dha following on sum.
If you hear Bhavani Shankar's album Pakhawaj Beat on Music India online web site, you may see some examples of this, where he has recited some chakradhar's using such tihai's. I dont rememeber now, but I am almost sure that Nayan Ghosh's solo ITCSRA web site may have some these compositions.

__________________
Regards;
Taal
0
Shawn

Registered:
Posts: 330
Reply with quote  #12 
Hi all,

Nothing wrong with this tihai at all. It ends on the first Dha, not the second. As taal said, the second Dha is just 'filler' (replace it with a silence if you like). In fact, by emphasising the second Dha, we can play around with the audience's expectations and mislead them. These "tricky" tihai are called Gupt tihai. They're a lot of fun

Regards,
Shawn

__________________
Shawn Mativetsky
http://www.shawnmativetsky.com
http://www.twitter.com/tablamontreal
http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal
0
taal

Registered:
Posts: 140
Reply with quote  #13 
It's nice to see you back Shawn after a while.
We forum members would appreciate if once in while you could share some simple tukda/Mukhda or Qaida like one in this thread. Please dont consider that I am looking for some "quick free" stuff. There is good database available in general in market and on Net.The pleasure in having any composition coming from you (with valuable comments, and any associated legend) lies in the fact that it would be "Pure Banaras".
I know, it going to smell like pure Indian Alphanso mango. (If you have tasted "Ratnagiri Hapoos while in India, then you may agree with me)
I am also not expecting any frequent posting, just a piece once in while is sufficient to enjoy it's pure taste for long time.
Even after being born and brought up in India, I have never visited Banaras, but I could just imagine the Tabla atmosphere there (in related geographical area of course) and envy those who are studying there.

__________________
Regards;
Taal
0
sohummusicals

Registered:
Posts: 601
Reply with quote  #14 
Normally a teental paran contains more than 16 Matras. which makes it atleast 32, since all the parans start from sum and end to sum.
You can call it a Teental Mukhda but still its a controversy becoz i have heard few ppl play it as a paran. If we go by the definition then we should call it a mukhda (as even a mukhda ends with a tihai and is noramlly of the same Matras as the taal)
0
Aanaddha

Registered:
Posts: 1,932
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Shawn"
Hi all,

Nothing wrong with this tihai at all. It ends on the first Dha, not the second. As taal said, the second Dha is just 'filler' (replace it with a silence if you like). In fact, by emphasising the second Dha, we can play around with the audience's expectations and mislead them. These "tricky" tihai are called Gupt tihai. They're a lot of fun
Shawn
In theory perhaps. IMHO - tihais that appear to end before or after sam are "tricky", as Shawn correctly points out, and better left to experienced players in real performance - otherwise it sound simply sounds like sam is coming to early or too late - (here especially if the second dha is emphasized.) It'd be more effective to drop the filler or if it comes as a repetative bol like '... DHA dha' to make it 'DHA - ' or use a non-resonant bol as the bharana rather than risk confusing the soloist or the audience. Musically speaking, in general 'simpler is better'.

A.

__________________
If he could sing, and nature to accompany him, what need would he have for an instrument?
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.