INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #1 
I recently changed the skin on a dayan for the first time. No easy endeavor for a first timer.

I pulled it to much on one side....the bottom ring isn't even around...there is a section where its pulled more...instead of a perfect circle, its spherical----ish :?:

how can I fix this?

I saw that there is a tool, that looks like a hook used for pulling. Can someone tell me... what the tool is called and where I can get one?

What tool(S) are required to make this process easier. i.e. the hook thing, a flat head screw driver..etc..anything else?

I pulled with my bare hands and had some serious battle wounds.

I like the vinyl baddhi's, does any one know where I can get a roll or something?

Does anyone have any information that teaches how to make the ties/knot when re-heading?

Also, if there's to much pulling on one side, how will that affect the tuning...and the skin itself?

Thanks everyone. I tried to keep it simple, so its not like reading an essay or something

Best to all
tsusinno

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello
You really need to go to youtube and watch a video from The Ali Akbar College, it is several parts but the gentleman explains
everything about the process...most valueable.

This is part 1
tsusinno

Reply with quote  #3 
...PS Next time go with the nylon straps...MUCH MUCH EASIER...MUCH BETTER!
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #4 
Yeh, the nylon is exactly what i'm talking about. I think they sell them in a fairly big roll. It seems much easier, in regards to the pulling process!

I'll check out the video from AACM. Thanks for the video
tsusinno

Reply with quote  #5 
...Also, the cheapest "hook" can be got at a farm supply shop. Ask for a "Hay HooK"
It's BIG and nasty looking but get's the job done
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #6 
Tsu...

That hay hook is ridiculous buddy. lol

I think it was hilarious as a recommendation. I'm gonna look around for a nice small one.

To all out there,

if you're looking for nylon straps, check out http://www.tabla-vermont.com/

Unless some of you guys out there, may know where I can get them cheaper.

Thnku!
tsusinno

Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry for trying to help.
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #8 
Tsusinno,
Don't be offended. I wasn't mocking you. I thought it was hilarious after I looked up a picture. I started cracking up, imagining myself in my living room pulling the tabla with a hay hook. You really made me laugh, and its a good thing.

I heard you can go to hard ware stores n they sell like small hooks that are easily assembled. I don't know how true this is, I haven't went and checked yet.

Thanks for the recommendation though
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #9 
Go to home depot or any hardware store. Buy a threaded hook of tbe size you prefer. Flatten out the tip of the hook. Take a spare gatta, pre drill a hole and screw in the hook. Violla...

Second option, buy a 12" long flat screw driver. Branded kind so that its made from good materials. Slip the screw driver into the strap half way through its shaft and now you have a handle on both sides to pull from.

Option 3, use a small crow bar.

Option 4 use nylon straps and avoid all this mess and blisters on your hands.

These are the tools. Regardless of the tools, gradual pulls in the technique is important. No tool will compensate for it.

To fix your specific problem, loosen it all the way out and re-pull. Trying to just correct the problem after its been streatched out is not an easy task will not necessarily result in a desirable solution. I would suggest the latter if the off center is very minimal at best. Otherwise, loosen it all the way out and gradually pull it keeping it centered.
Greg

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tsusinno"
...Also, the cheapest "hook" can be got at a farm supply shop. Ask for a "Hay HooK"
It's BIG and nasty looking but get's the job done
..big and nasty is the way, I recently pulled a djembe with a small djembe puller...no good for my big hands, crowbar would have been better....

tsusinno

Reply with quote  #11 
No prob...actually with nylon straps it's not such an issue. Ive seen a "tabla strap pull" for sale on line but
it was $ 30.00 + or - that's why I opted for the hook.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.