INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
drtom

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey folks,

Recently I was in need of a dholak head and was having trouble finding the size I needed. Normally I would get it locally but everyone was out of stock. Even nationally (I'm in the US) I had no luck. I should mention, by the way, that I repair hand drums professionally, so I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to drum heads.

Out of desperation, I ordered one from Kala Kendar, a Canadian company. They seemed to be a substantial and reliable company. They sent me the wrong size; it was too large, and when I informed them of the error they would not acknowledge any fault on their part. Eventually, they did agree to replace the head as long as I returned the one I had (at my expense).

When the second head arrived, it was too small. Again, they would not acknowledge any error on their part. After arguing for some time, their representative did agree to refund my money as long as I returned the head I had (again at my expense). By this time, I was so disgusted with them, that I told him to just keep the money. I wanted nothing else to do with them.

OK, thanks for letting me vent.

I still need a dholak head. I'm pretty handy and I've made other types of heads, so I'm thinking I could make my own with the ring from the old head. The thing is that it would be trial and error, and I'd rather not waste skin and time if it can be helped.

Does anyone out there know how dholak heads are made and would be willing to share the knowledge? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
drtom

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.