INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #1 
For reasons of extremely poor financial health I had to truncate my daily regimen of torturing the poor strings, but now I'm back! Started learning the beautiful Raga Megh from my wonderful teacher, and Sitarfixer I'm coming up to your place soon also! Don't have a good car right now to make the trip, but next month I will. I'm very glad to have the Chandrakantha forum to bounce back to.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
House rich and pocket poor - I know it well ! Good to hear you be on da rebound ! Your Surbie and I await your arrival. Looking forward !

Reply with quote  #3 
Was that one that I saw last week when visiting with my own patient? If so, very lovely instrument it was!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Yep ! One and the same. With it out for inspection, I went ahead and swapped out all the taraf strings for one gauge thinner. Good move. Finally got some zing and sizzle out of this beastie. Hey, Nic. How's your baby now that it's home and somewhat settled ???

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Hey, Nic. How's your baby now that it's home and somewhat settled ???
Sehr gut! Actually have been very limited in how much time I can give to it lately, so hopefully I'll get to play it more soon. First thing I noticed was...the Sa has changed! I have it tuned to F# right now (used to be G# or A even) but I'm not sure it wasn't tuned to F...nice and deep! You must have upped the string gauges somewhat as the tension is still there (couldn't get it to G# if I wanted) but she's deep and rumbly now. Seems like you found where the instrument wanted to be because I started playing on the kharaj string, and what really got me was the sustain! You'd think I was playing it with an eBow or something...very very slow decay, it just keeps singing...at least with certain notes or bends. Whew!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Ohwwww Rieeeeght ! ! ! Very happy to hear baby is pleasing your ears. I set SA to F#. The first string is .014 and the taraf and chikari are .010. I kept just a little "roundiness" on the bridge surface to ensure a solid string contact. There's the sustain, especially on the lower voice strings. The taraf bridge I kept flat for maximum zing and sizzle. That, along with the .010 strings made a very good combination. No doubt that with some hours of playing, your baby will hit you with open arms. Good to meet you ! Cheers ! ! !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.