INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
This is a notice for everyone living in the US, and much of Europe.

It is becoming rare to find baby powder that is made from talc.  Most of the baby powders that are available today are based upon corn starch or some similar vegetable starch.  This is motivated by various health concerns that are attached to talcum powder.

DO NOT USE THESE STARCH BASED POWDERS.  THE WILL RUIN YOUR TABLA!!!

Read the ingredients.  It should read "Talc, Fragrance".  If it has anything else in it, do not buy it.

If you look at the syahi (the black spot) on your tabla, you will see a reticulum of small cracks.  These cracks are essential to the proper resonance of the drum skin. Starch based powders mix with the sweat of your hand and form a glue. This glue works its way down into this reticulum and clogs everything up.  To a certain extent, it can be cleaned out, just as talc buildup can be cleaned out. But it is much more difficult, and a long term use of starch will clog things to the point that it cannot be fixed.  The sound of the drum will be permanently muffled and choked.  If you are located outside of India the, only recourse will be an expensive replacement of the heads.

I have been seeing an unacceptable increase in tablas that are damaged from this. So be careful.
saurav2614

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi David
Thank you very much for this post. It explains the problem that I had with one of my Dayan. 

Regards
Saurav
lickerig

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for this post

Reply with quote  #4 
Great post!  Interesting as well as useful.
Proxmire1

Reply with quote  #5 
I have been using a product called "zeasorb" for a decade. Now they call it "zeasorb excess moisture". Its main ingedient is talc, but has other more drying ingredients and is better than baby powder (which they dont tell you is stillmade from babies)
assingh

Reply with quote  #6 
I searched on Amazon after reading this post and searched for talc and grain free and came up with the following.  Can someone look into it and let me know if it will cause any issues for the Tabla head?

Ora's Amazing Herbal Talc-Free Grain-Free Gluten-Free Corn-Free Baby Powder, Unscented, 2.5 oz.
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
This looks interesting.  But I am a bit suspicious because I  am led to understand that this is based upon clay.  I can imagine that when clay mixes with the sweat in one's hands that it would glue the individual particles of the syahi together in a manner similar to corn starch.  My gut feeling is to stay away from this and stick with tried and true talc.
pj123

Reply with quote  #8 

Thats informative.

I found a Ponds fragrance talc in sisters dressing table, so using it ... The ingredients doesnt show containing starch though.. (y)

P.S I love you guys for this website. Chandra & David courtney..

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.