INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
gatabera

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys,

I have a tabla that is in B flat. If I were to accompany a vocalist or instrumentalist what pitch would they have to play in or sing in? I really don't want to mess with retuning the drum, so just want to see what setting Bflat is normally played in. Thanks.
tablaplayer

Reply with quote  #2 
Well, most female vocalists sing somewhere between G sharp to B flat. Male vocalists usually sign between C to D sharp. However, it really depends on the person. I would call and ask the person you are scheduled to play with about which pitch he/ she is going to be signing with. Sometimes, depending on the song, the pitch may change. Unless you have a couple tablas at your disposal, it will be impossible to not tweak the tuning.
Terry1234

Reply with quote  #3 
Most of the time people sing at C sharp. In my experience anyway.
gatabera

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok I was fooling around on my electric organ, and I did see that C# and B flat sound pretty ok together, so theoretically if a sitar player or any other instrumentalist played in this key I should be fine right?
pumpik

Reply with quote  #5 
Normally, it is no big deal to tune the tabla half to one sur up or down. For instance, my Kali 1 tabla is able to go up half a sur quite easily. Most female vocalists would sing either in safed 5 or kali 4. Most male vocalists would sing in Kali 1 or Kali 2. Some rare artists such as Pt Kumar Gandharva sang in a much higher pitch (we call that "Pilitis Pitch" in India ). I am sure your Bflat tabla can be lowered a sur, but I doubt if you can raise it to a Kali 1. The pudi might go "Phut".

Most good vocalists or instrumentalists would never tolerate a mistuned tabla. Trained musicians have a very high frequency resolution. One top notch vocalist that I know goes hopping mad if the tabla is out of tune even by a fraction, hardly perceptible to even "trained" ears, so beware.
gatabera

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pumpik"
Normally, it is no big deal to tune the tabla half to one sur up or down. For instance, my Kali 1 tabla is able to go up half a sur quite easily. Most female vocalists would sing either in safed 5 or kali 4. Most male vocalists would sing in Kali 1 or Kali 2. Some rare artists such as Pt Kumar Gandharva sang in a much higher pitch (we call that "Pilitis Pitch" in India ). I am sure your Bflat tabla can be lowered a sur, but I doubt if you can raise it to a Kali 1. The pudi might go "Phut".

Most good vocalists or instrumentalists would never tolerate a mistuned tabla. Trained musicians have a very high frequency resolution. One top notch vocalist that I know goes hopping mad if the tabla is out of tune even by a fraction, hardly perceptible to even "trained" ears, so beware.
What is Kali 1, 2, 4 and Safed 5?
pumpik

Reply with quote  #7 
Kali = Black and Safed = White on the keyboard or harmonium. Safed 1 is C.

However note that the keyboard and harmonium are tuned to the Equi-tempered western scale and not to the Natural (or Just Intonation) scale of Indian Classical Music. The musician that you are going to accompany is trained in the natural scale.
Greg

Reply with quote  #8 
My 6" Bina tabla is tuned to Bb...

G

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.